• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gear selection

jcox1214

Needing help deciding what gears to run in my build. I'll be doing trail riding and some rocks. 383 stroker apx 350hp to a TH350 and 205. Front 60 14bolt rear on 40" treps. Currently have 4.10's, thinking at least 5.13's? Or will the 4.10's work for what i'm doing?

60 or so views and no reply
Smart money says try what you have ,if you need more spend more ...... Just my 2 cents

I would bet with that 205 you'd need something in the 5's gears, or at least that might keep that TH350 a lil happier / cooler. The 205 is a 2:1, right?

4.88's / 43's / 4.3 atlas / whatever a stock 5.7L with headers makes / TF727 trans......... I enjoy 1st gear in low for "Toyota creepin", but 2nd gear pulls great when you need wheelspin.

1st gear in 2hi is about average I'd say.....it'll pull, but you won't be scaring anybody with the power.

I'm no expert on this stuff, I tend to just go with proven combo's I've seen on the trail.

500hp+ 6.0, th350, 43" stickies, atlas 3.8

running 5.38s in the diffs and works great for trail riding/crawling. I prefer the slower technical stuff and this combo works well imo

I just went from 4:10's to 5:13's. it's a big difference but I kinda wish I'd went to 5:38's. my only concern was the small pinion size. I'm running basically the same same set up except chevy 60 front and 43's.

Your crawl ratio will be 19:1, with 4:11's. You probably will need to be mid thirties to be happy trail riding. I always try and be close to 36:1, that seems to be a sweet spot with 3 speed transmissions imo.

I'm 43:1 and I find it to be a great place to be. 43's, 4.10 ring and pinions, th400, atlas with the 4.3:1 ratio. First is a great crawl gear, second is a great hill/crawl gear, and third for wide ass open with wheel speed.

Go as deep as the 14 bolt will let you. Which is 5.38 I think.
I'm running 5.3 th350 205 with 5.13 gears a 38" tires it's not low enough to crawl easily. Just ordered 6.20 gears

RustyC said:
Go as deep as the 14 bolt will let you. Which is 5.38 I think.
I'm running 5.3 th350 205 with 5.13 gears a 38" tires it's not low enough to crawl easily. Just ordered 6.20 gears

This ^^

If it's a wheeler and you've got 40's, why not go as deep as possible?

205 is 2:1, stroker motor has alot of torque but not alot of RPM. So not wanting to run out of wheel speed. I'm redoing the axles start to finish so thought it would be a good idea to address then. Was leaning towards something in the 5's, but budget eating at me too, thats why i thought maybe the 4:10s would be sufficient. Big difference then i would convince myself to do so lol.

Klutch said:
60 or so views and no reply
Smart money says try what you have ,if you need more spend more ...... Just my 2 cents
I agree with this. Worst thing that can happen is you find out during the 1st ride that you want to go lower. I'd rather do that than swap and find I'd be happier where I was. Might be a different story if your axles were empty. Both of my axles had 4.10's when I got them so I'll try them with my 6.0/th400/3.8 atlas on 43's before I go swapping.

pholmann said:
I'm 43:1 and I find it to be a great place to be. 43's, 4.10 ring and pinions, th400, atlas with the 4.3:1 ratio. First is a great crawl gear, second is a great hill/crawl gear, and third for wide ass open with wheel speed.
Is 3rd enough gear to cruise trails on? Reason I ask I'm thinking about keeping 5.13s, not really worried about strength in 14 bolts and it would save some money. If I go with a 3.0 I will be at 38:1. Seriously considering a scs straight drive to save more money. I have not put my buggy in high in over 6 months and it's not twin sticked, so not losing much.

I cruise in 4th on the trails. Be the same basically as an auto 3rd. 4.0/AX15/5.0 ATLAS/4.10 axles/43's (for gearing reference)

Dirt700 said:
Is 3rd enough gear to cruise trails on? Reason I ask I'm thinking about keeping 5.13s, not really worried about strength in 14 bolts and it would save some money. If I go with a 3.0 I will be at 38:1. Seriously considering a scs straight drive to save more money. I have not put my buggy in high in over 6 months and it's not twin sticked, so not losing much.
I'm at 36:1 (C6, 4.88, 3:1) with 44" tsls and mine does good. Not sure I've been into 3rd alot, but have followed Tony around. Haven't really got use to the auto and crawl ratio, since I was running NP435, 4.88, w/Klune and 205, but does good as is.

Re:

I have a stock tbi 350, th350, 205, cucvs (456) and 42 pitbulls.
I love the ratio. Everyone told me I would hate the 205 ratio but It's all in how you drive.
I don't sit on the same rock for 20 min letting my tires just barely move like some people. I'm more of a throttle person. I'm gonna spin the tires if that don't work I'm gonna back up and bump it.
It just depends on what you want but with 350 hp you should have plenty of power to turn those 40s as it sits.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wimpykid said:
I'm at 36:1 (C6, 4.88, 3:1) with 44" tsls and mine does good. Not sure I've been into 3rd alot, but have followed Tony around. Haven't really got use to the auto and crawl ratio, since I was running NP435, 4.88, w/Klune and 205, but does good as is.
Thanks, don't want to get to low geared and not have a high range, at least with scs it's easy to change. And there's a chance I might still get atlas