• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gearing front to back????

xjpaddler

Looking at a couple things for my next build, i am wanting to run 4.56 gears. 14 rear, portal hybrid 9 in the front.

What is the most acceptable gearing difference from front to rear??

For instance

4.73 front 4.56 rear?

I will have to regear the front 9 but not sure how close i can get to a 4.56 total

Re:

I'd rather have the faster gears in the front if that's a choice (if you can get close enough).

5.38/5.43 is a common hp44/9" combo

I've seen 5.86/5.71 in a lp44/Toyota axle combo...

Re:

TBItoy said:
I'd rather have the faster gears in the front if that's a choice (if you can get close enough).

5.38/5.43 is a common hp44/9" combo

I've seen 5.86/5.71 in a lp44/Toyota axle combo...

Agree completely on the front being faster!

The big question is are the portals 1.1 ratio or 2.1 or something else?

Hummers, portals and 1.92-1 is what i have found. I can get the front to 4.66 and the rear at 4.56. Any thoughts??

Nick do you have a source on the 1.72 everything i have read said 1.9

Still cant believe im thinking of going this route. Ive wanted to do an IFS set up for a while. The portals kinda fell in my lap over the weekend, and aparently are pretty strong. The rig will be rear engine with a flipped 14-rock hybrid rear. If i have done my math correctly, i can run 2 in spacers on the rear and be at 67.5 wms. Running 2stubs, and long side+stub. Should put me around 82 width with center line wheels.

xjpaddler said:
I already have 4.56, for the 14b What i really need is 2.64s for the 9in;)

xjpaddler said:
Nick do you have a source on the 1.72 everything i have read said 1.9

Still cant believe im thinking of going this route. Ive wanted to do an IFS set up for a while. The portals kinda fell in my lap over the weekend, and aparently are pretty strong. The rig will be rear engine with a flipped 14-rock hybrid rear. If i have done my math correctly, i can run 2 in spacers on the rear and be at 67.5 wms. Running 2stubs, and long side+stub. Should put me around 82 width with center line wheels.

Nope, I just did 4.56/2.64 that you posted earlier and came up with 1.727...

I guessed hummer portals.