• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

gearing questions?

Dents

I had a thought to go with 410 's in the diffs and 4 to 1 in the tcase , But is it better to go as low as possilbe in the diffs and leave the tcase where it is? diffs are 60 front and 14 bolt rear, tcase is a dana 20. the vehicle is a 73 cj5 any input helps thanks:beer:

Being a 73 CJ with a D20 tcase, one can assume you've also got a stick shift tranny. Your D20 came with 2.02 low range gears IIRC, and really needs to be a little lower, but really doesn't need 4.0s. On my 79 CJ, I ran a V8 with a T18 gear box, and a D20. I didn't like the gears and eventually put in the Bronco D20 gears which were 2.46s. Worked much better. When I blew that up, I swapped to a Scout D300 with 2.62 gears and that was ideal. I ran 4.27s in the diffs, and 35 inch tires.

Tire size is important. If you run a large tire with stock ring and pinion, the drive train can be overloaded from the t-case output flanges to the pinion gears.

If its for wheeling then my opinion is you should go low. If you are going to the effort of regearing go nice and low, like 5.38. I regeared from 4.10 to 4.88 and it works good on the street but for wheeling I wish I had done 5.38. Also I believe you can get a 2.72:1 kit for the D20.

I stand corrected. It is 3.15:1, also it's about $800. Thats what I get for guessing out my ass.

Tire size is important. If you run a large tire with stock ring and pinion, the drive train can be overloaded from the t-case output flanges to the pinion gears.
I have 33x12.5x15 with 4.27 gears. A Dana 18 transfer case with 2.46 gears and running a SM465. There is a D30 in the front and D44 rear.
My 17 year old daughter found the week point in the transfer case. It was the low range gear. Got the motor up to 3 grand and popped the clutch. :mad:

http://groups.msn.com/ScottMilliner/transfercasecarnage.msnw?albumlist=2

tire size is 37 crawlers tranny is t18 and it has bronco gears in the tase already, the tires 60 and 14 bolt are going under it in febuary but im not sure which way to go low in the diffs and leave the tcase or low in the tcase cause the diffs are matching 4.10 :beer:

With 37's I'd do the ring and pinion first, other wise you could have increased problems with the U-joints breaking, or other parts in the drivelines.

So you would leave the t-case and change out the ring and pinion?How low would you go ?:beer:

So you would leave the t-case and change out the ring and pinion?How low would you go ?:beer:

I'm more familiar with toyota junk so not sure on the optimal gearing for a 60. Sounds like a couple people have suggested 5.38's depending on if its a dedicated trail rig, or a little higher if it may see some highway use. 5.29 is a good ratio for 37's in a toy axle. More people will chime in with a similar drive train but it also might help if you described how you are going to use the rig.

Last edited:
It is strickly a trail rig,I trailer it where ever i go wheelin.Rieter is my place of choice.:beer:

What engine you running?
If your running an engine without may poney's and low torque, go something like 5:38.

If your running a healthy V8 with lots of power, 4:88. the reason i say this is pinion strenghth vs HP. your not gonna need the ultra low gears if you have tons of torque. and a 4:88 pinion is stronger than a 5:38 pinion.
But with a wimpy motor your not gonna be able to motor down the road or crawl rocks without the LOW gears (such as 5:38)

Just my 3.5 cents

Latest posts