• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gears

Dubshot

What are the best gears at a good price for a toyota elocker setup. I think it came from a 98 4runner rear.

Best gears, and Good price usually don't mix...There are Cheap gers out there, but if you stick with the more known brands (Yukon, Nytro, US, Motive, etc...)...
Biggest key is the set-up, and proper break-in

Well, there they are. Price? Probably $100 more than anyone else. They do make nice stuff tho.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/SVLLDRP-1.pdf

SVLLDRP-1
SVL
®
Light Duty Ring & Pinion Sets
Toyota
®
8†4 Cylinder
R/G Diameter 8†R/G Bolts Dropout 11mm x 1.0 RH Cover Bolts 10 Carrier Breaks-None Pinion Spline 1.29â€/27
Ring & Pinion Sets
79-85 4X4 Light Truck (Front & Rear), 86-96 4X4 (Rear)
Toyota
®
8.125†V6
R/G Diameter 8.125†R/G Bolts Dropout 11mm x 1.0 RH Cover Bolts-None Carrier Breaks-None Pinion Spline 1.29â€/27
Ring & Pinion Sets
87-95 Toyota Pickup, 4-Runner (V6 & Turbo)
Dana # Interchange Ratio
2021388 T390 3.90
2021403 T411 4.11
2021381 T488 4.55
2020894 T456 4.56
2020891 T529 5.29
2021372 T571 5.71

Sierra's are good also, have installed a few sets...In fact I think my front gears in the Sami are Sierra's...

I think they have a 10 year warranty

:haha:
G2's are out there...Guys on here run 'em, but I haven't seen any reports about their gears...Their axles however, guys have opinions, 99redtj is one of 'em...maybe he'll report with what he knows...And he wheels pretty hard...

:haha:
G2's are out there...Guys on here run 'em, but I haven't seen any reports about their gears...Their axles however, guys have opinions, 99redtj is one of 'em...maybe he'll report with what he knows...And he wheels pretty hard...

Whats so funny? They dio have a ten year warranty. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...37&t_pt=5092&Manufacturer_PQ=G2+Axle+and+Gear

I know NOTHING about their axles but have not had problems wit the gears.

If it came down to cost and service (cuz all toy gears are average quality) then I would choose the cheapest with the best warranty.

They setup well and are available LOCALLY and QUICK.

I have more junk Yukons in my box than G2 or old genuines.

Ill say it again, 9 out of 10 diffs I fix were killed by the previous installer, not the owners right foot. :awesomework:

I have a rubicon 44 built by g2,it has there gears and axle shaft .there has been no issues with the gears,I have only broke one stub shaft and it was replaced with no problems.hAve been running this front end for two years

Well, there they are. Price? Probably $100 more than anyone else. They do make nice stuff tho.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/SVLLDRP-1.pdf

SVLLDRP-1
SVL
®
Light Duty Ring & Pinion Sets
Toyota
®
8†4 Cylinder
R/G Diameter 8†R/G Bolts Dropout 11mm x 1.0 RH Cover Bolts 10 Carrier Breaks-None Pinion Spline 1.29â€/27
Ring & Pinion Sets
79-85 4X4 Light Truck (Front & Rear), 86-96 4X4 (Rear)
Toyota
®
8.125†V6
R/G Diameter 8.125†R/G Bolts Dropout 11mm x 1.0 RH Cover Bolts-None Carrier Breaks-None Pinion Spline 1.29â€/27
Ring & Pinion Sets
87-95 Toyota Pickup, 4-Runner (V6 & Turbo)
Dana # Interchange Ratio
2021388 T390 3.90
2021403 T411 4.11
2021381 T488 4.55
2020894 T456 4.56
2020891 T529 5.29
2021372 T571 5.71

looks like about $175 for 4.56 and $190 for 5.29

Ill say it again, 9 out of 10 diffs I fix were killed by the previous installer, not the owners right foot. :awesomework:
This is truth! There's not much way to tell what gears are better than others because, as stated a couple of times already, setup and break in is 90% of what makes a gearset last, not what brand.

Something I learned recently in my own research for replacement gears (5.29's for a Toyota 8" HP) is that if you're never going to run them on the highway, there is less need to go with high-dollar gears. Typically, the more expensive they are, the more accurate their cuts are. The closer tolerance a set has in production results in cooler running gears and quieter gears. These aren't big issues for trail-only rigs that rarely see more than 40mph, and even then, usually for very short times. This is still ALL DEPENDENT on what was first said though: Proper set up is crucial!!! Buy the cheapest set you want, but spend the extra time, effort or money on proper setup and they'll last a lot longer.

Ok ive noticed a trend here.... pile of broken yukons.

I now have some broken yukons. They were set up as good as the gears would allow.

How does one tooth break on a dana sixty? There are always at least two teeth in contact at all times. I know at least ten people who have experienced the same issue with yukons. Mine are 5:38 but it appears to me to not be ratio related.

Looking for something else, just found out nitro and usa alloy both have thier gears made in third world countries like korea....

If i find any made in usa ill post.

If anyone has any suggestions im open for advice.

Ok ive noticed a trend here.... pile of broken yukons.

I now have some broken yukons. They were set up as good as the gears would allow.

How does one tooth break on a dana sixty? There are always at least two teeth in contact at all times. I know at least ten people who have experienced the same issue with yukons. Mine are 5:38 but it appears to me to not be ratio related.

Looking for something else, just found out nitro and usa alloy both have thier gears made in third world countries like korea....

If i find any made in usa ill post.

If anyone has any suggestions im open for advice.

Whats wrong with thing made in Korea? I happen to believe they make a pretty darn good product:hi::redneck::beer: