• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Glow plugs

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
Im going to replace the glow plugs and relay in my '95 7.3, not sure of I should just get stock replacements or go with aftermarket stuff, I was looking at DieselRx ones and the price seems decent. Thoughts?

After tons of research a fews yrs ago I am convinced that factory replacements are the way to go. The Autolites are ****! I could get Motorcraft plugs at Oreilly for $11.49 ea. (in stock). Was cheaper than at the dealer. They should be "Beru" rebranded as motorcraft. :awesomework:

Beru or nothing. ALL the aftermarket plugs are **** and will fail in short order. Autolite are the worst pieces of **** on the market. The tips will swell and break off when you are trying to replace their failed ass. Which allows you to experience the joy of pulling the head off to get the chunk out.

Beru (Motorcraft) is the only way to go as suggested before...the factory GPR's are fine...And YES, doublecheck the valve cover connections....the external connections like to melt---there are repair harnesses for them....and if they are melted, you're buying valve cover gaskets as well....

Do yourself a favor and run some fuel system cleaner though it before you do it. I just did a set on a 99 yesterday, he ran cleaner through it on the way back to this side of the state, that combined with the fact it had good plugs in it made my life very easy. Took me ~4 hours on that truck working with all hand tools to do the plug and relay with no problems. Passenger valve cover is kind of a pain in the ass to get in and out but that's about the hardest part of the job.

A piece of vacuum line to spin the plugs in and out makes life a bunch easier too.

As said, motorcraft or Beru ONLY. If you want to upgrade the relay look at Stancor. I've been running one for a few years with no problems and Napa ones fail at less than a year if they even work out of the box.

Finally got around to doing the glow plugs, got the Motorcraft/Beth's from Rockauto (thanks for the tip Pat). The passengers side was pretty painless (after I went and bought a deep 10mm 1/4" drive socket to get to the glow plugs), the drivers side was a PITA getting the valve cover off between the heater box and trans filler. Had no problem getting the old plugs out, the truck only has 86000 miles on it, so I'm guessing that's why. One of the harnesses under the drivers side valve cover melted down and took out the valve cover gasket, the external harness was fine. Anybody looking for valve cover gaskets or under the cover harnesses should check out Riff Raff Diesel, cheapest price I found for actual OEM parts and they are in Oregon so shipping is quick.

So now the truck is starting great,but looks like I get to change the CPS now.

Finally got around to doing the glow plugs, got the Motorcraft/Beth's from Rockauto (thanks for the tip Pat). The passengers side was pretty painless (after I went and bought a deep 10mm 1/4" drive socket to get to the glow plugs), the drivers side was a PITA getting the valve cover off between the heater box and trans filler. Had no problem getting the old plugs out, the truck only has 86000 miles on it, so I'm guessing that's why. One of the harnesses under the drivers side valve cover melted down and took out the valve cover gasket, the external harness was fine. Anybody looking for valve cover gaskets or under the cover harnesses should check out Riff Raff Diesel, cheapest price I found for actual OEM parts and they are in Oregon so shipping is quick.

So now the truck is starting great,but looks like I get to change the CPS now.
Glad to hear, only I think ya got your sides all goofed up as far as which side was the PITA....!:redneck:

Haha, yeah got that ass backwards, the drivers side was easy, passengers side was a PITA. :redneck:

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk