• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GM 1 wire alternator on a 22r

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
Who all has installed a GM 1 wire alternator on a 22r?

I need a few things from Trail-Gear so I threw in for one of the GM brackets since I have a GM alternator laying on the shelf.

I haven't had a chance to look at the wiring on the Toyota alternator yet but I know there's several wires on there. If I remember right one goes to the coil, 1 to a ignition box of some sort, and theres a few others.

I'm not a Toyota guy this rig is my first Toyota so I'm new to this stuff.

This isn't in a street rig, and I don't have any warning lights/gauges to worry about. Just the basics.

I'm thinking the ignition wiring/coil and the rest of the wiring that currently comes of the alternator will just run off a switched circuit from the battery that I have my ignition off of now. Am I right?

82 motor and electronics as far as I know. Its a buggy so no dash/gauges to worry about.

I took a couple pictures this morning while I was running out the door to work. The one of the altenator did not turn out, cell phone camera is all I had on me.

22rblackbox.jpg

This little black box has 4 wires going into it from the Alternator wiring.

22rcoilpack.jpg

This is the coil thats on there, best I can tell there's 2 wires going into it.

Not sure if these help.

I'll be looking at it more this weekend, we'll see what I can figure out.

witch amp Alternator r you going to use? is the wirerig the same on a 22re?

I have no idea if the 22r and 22re wiring is the same. This is my first rig with any thing Toyota related on it. I believe the alternator I have on the shelf is a 94 amp, but I might be wrong I've had it sitting there for a while.

How many wires go to your regulator? Plan on running a true 1 wire or the 3 wire?

The GM alternator I have is a 3 wire but when I had it in my old rig Les (HLB3) showed me how to run the 3 wires to the junction block instead so essentially its a 1-wire.

As for your question about the regulator, are you talking on the Toyota alternator? If so I'll have to look tonight.

I have a 80 with a 20R. If I remember right I just unplugged the Toy alt harness and ran a 10 gauge wire from the batt to the poss pole on the one wire. Its been a few years. You can come up and look at it if you want.

I have a 80 with a 20R. If I remember right I just unplugged the Toy alt harness and ran a 10 gauge wire from the batt to the poss pole on the one wire. Its been a few years. You can come up and look at it if you want.

So you just ran a wirer from the battery to the alt? what about the stock harness and gage?

If its just a 1 wire. Just run a wire from the batt to the alt. If you want to be baller and have the charge light work thats a different story:cool:

So you just ran a wirer from the battery to the alt? what about the stock harness and gage?

I unplugged the harness and left it. There is a alt harness plug up on the fender well. That is where I unplugged it and tossed the rest of the alt harness. I am not much into volt or amp gauges.

Doesnt one of the smaller wires charge below a certain Rpm?

Not that I am aware of. Good one wire alts will start to charge pretty much at idie to 800RPM. You have to research that to make sure you dont get one that charges at a higher RPM like 1200 to 1500 RPM. I can't remember the name brand of the alt I got but it is a 140AMP chrome plated one :kiss:

the cool thing is, is that a 65 amp and 140 amp are the same size, so you can upgrade later with no mods. idiot light suck! get a gauge. one wire goes to the ign. wire on ign. switch and the other goes to ground, and you'll know exactly what is going on, not just a red light! you can also just jump the wire to the little black box in fender well that had the original big wire running to it.

FYI did some reading, sounds like the little black box is the external regulator so it can go. :awesomework: makes that easy.

Latest posts