• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Going rate for a good/great quality paint job. (Restomod)

I jus spent 3 grand to paint my rzr.lota time an material goes into it forsure

tallnate said:
200 hours / 20-25 business days.. that's hard to grasp. I mean I guess I could see that if it was a nightmare job requiring tons of body work, rusted sheet metal removal and repair and so on. But this truck is all brand new sheet metal straight from the supplier. No dents, no bondo, no old paint, basically just needs cleaning prep, primer, base coat, clear coat.

I def understand the potential frustrations with a customer that expects perfection and how that could be a total pita. But like I said, they're wanting a good quality paint job that will last first and foremost. Absolute show room quality perfection won't be the expectation. $7,000-$8,000 is a much more doable budget for them than a $12,000-$14,000 job.

Anyone that is CAPABLE of laying down a show quality job isn't going to take a scuff N shoot job. Those panels are going to need work. Doesn't matter if they are "new". If they don't want someone to put the time into getting them to fit correctly then they should just take it to MAACO.

jpony645 said:
Anyone that is CAPABLE of laying down a show quality job isn't going to take a scuff N shoot job. Those panels are going to need work. Doesn't matter if they are "new". If they don't want someone to put the time into getting them to fit correctly then they should just take it to MAACO.
MAACO can do some bad ass paint jobs if you pay for them
Here's a guy local around here who can do some amazing work his names Billy at Billy's frame and collision number is 417-862-8822

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1f565bd68f725463bfc719ceb337719c.jpg

Here's a pic of one his personal cars he's built been in hot rod magazine worlds lowest nova

I used to see alot of nice cars come out of Watkins Auto body on 6th ave south in bham, haven't really been around there much in the past few years so I can't say if they still do the awesome work they used to. I saw them fix a porsche that had over $40k in damage, and numerous cars that the dealer I worked for couldn't fix right went there to get done right. They have done several show show cars I know of, one 55 belair that was amazing!

jpony645 said:

O I totally agree. We're well aware that fit work and bare metal prep is a huge and crucial part of the job before the paint can go on. I just thought that a bare metal project might be more appealing to a painter since there's no old paint or body repair work needed in addition to prep for paint. But maybe bare metal is just as hard to prep as old paint. Like I said, that was just a hunch.

And I guess I should clarify, this isn't an attempt to get the best looking paint job we can find for cheap. The truck is getting a lot of money spent on it.. already setup on coilovers with a custom independent front subframe and 4 link rear, the 4l60e has already been built and a custom housing 9 inch rear is in. Motor plans changed recently from a small block crate motor to a Gen IV LS motor, leaning toward LS3 but still trying to decide.

417chevy said:
MAACO can do some bad ass paint jobs if you pay for them
Here's a guy local around here who can do some amazing work his names Billy at Billy's frame and collision number is 417-862-8822

Awesome, thanks for the reference. We'll definitely give him a call to see what his thoughts are and if this job is something he's willing to take on.

grcthird said:
I used to see alot of nice cars come out of Watkins Auto body on 6th ave south in bham, haven't really been around there much in the past few years so I can't say if they still do the awesome work they used to. I saw them fix a porsche that had over $40k in damage, and numerous cars that the dealer I worked for couldn't fix right went there to get done right. They have done several show show cars I know of, one 55 belair that was amazing!

I see cars sitting in their showroom in various stages of repair but couldn't vouch for the work.

tallnate said:
O I totally agree. We're well aware that fit work and bare metal prep is a huge and crucial part of the job before the paint can go on. I just thought that a bare metal project might be more appealing to a painter since there's no old paint or body repair work needed in addition to prep for paint. But maybe bare metal is just as hard to prep as old paint. Like I said, that was just a hunch.

And I guess I should clarify, this isn't an attempt to get the best looking paint job we can find for cheap. The truck is getting a lot of money spent on it.. already setup on coilovers with a custom independent front subframe and 4 link rear, the 4l60e has already been built and a custom housing 9 inch rear is in. Motor plans changed recently from a small block crate motor to a Gen IV LS motor, leaning toward LS3 but still trying to decide.

If you don't mind hauling it, give Colors Auto Body in Hartselle, AL a call. Phillip and Mike do awesome work, both collision and custom. No idea what they'd charge but it's worth a call.

Colors Precision Paint & Body ?

513 Main St W, Hartselle, AL 35640

(256) 773-6272