• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Golf ball balancing?

K

Kelly

Does the golf ball thing actually work? I'm going to be mouting up the SX's on Porter the man lovers old beadlocks, and since I gotta drive that pile to work and back for awhile, I need to balance the tires somewhat.....

i as well would like to hear input on this i did some reading on pirate and didnt get what i wanted so i threw 2 of my tires on our balance machine and work and both were close to 12oz! Is there a math to how much is needed to balance tires? Right now im setting all four up with 12oz of bb's so we'll see how that works. (my tires are 38.5x14)

spenser

You have the same tires as me? 38.5x14.5 SX's?

I'm curious to know how poorly they balance out...

from what I've read about this mystery phenom is that it only works when the tire is rolling on the ground and that it takes a while to balance out. I doubt golf balls would work. Might make a funny sound though

I haven't had much luck balancing my Iroks with the golf ball method OR the airsoft pellet method. They do make cool noises while you're rolling up to a stoplight though. :) I haven't tried regular BB's yet though, not sure if I'm going to. I'm lucky I guess since none of my tires seem to be TOO far out of balance that it makes the rig undriveable... just annoying enough to drive you nuts after a long trip though.

I use BB's. Works fine. Whitetrash uses them in his SX's and they work for him too. Never tried the golf balls.

Yup bb's kick ass in tires.. I can take m8 sx's to 80 (as fast as teh re will push it) and its still just as smooth as you can expect a 38" sx on beadlocks to ride. :D

I heard about using them for different reasons.. Had a guy in the diesel club use them for heat reasons.. Golf balls keep the air moving in the tire and cools off the temperatures.. Can't remember how much the temps dropped but it was noticeable. And could probably help the longevity of the tire. I think it's more of an on road thing then helping some super swampers.

Comet Ive ran bb's in every tire Ive mounted from 33" radial at's to 39.5 tsl's.. it just makes all tires balance nicely.. far better than a static balance ever could.

Kelly I use a shot glass to measure the amount... here is a old quote froom my on PBB a couple years ago on bb balancing:

Damn sometimes people just over think these things...

For 33's one full shot glass of bb's will do ya. For 33-36's a shot and a half, over 38 at least 2 full shots.

I have yet to have an issue with tire damage from running bb's for balance. Remember they are round and they dont break so there are no sharp edges to hurt the tire. Been running them in everything I own for the last 4 years.

Dont buy copperhead bb's, they are copper coated and the coating will flake off and clog the valvecore next time you air down. Thats pure experience talking there. I use quicksilver bb's, they are about $6 and I can do 2 sets of tires with the one big box with enough left over for???

ive seen people with the golf balls just seem to big in the tire!! the B Bs do work. talk to hip on the snort board he will tell you his experince with the BBs they work he even has a tire chart that explains how many BBs to use for what size tires. and there is someone experimenting with the airsoft BBs in their boggers.