• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Good camp/back country saw

i have a 028 wood boss, 044,an old blue homelite XL and a bug blue old homelite,my trail saw is a little red homelite 125 with a black plastic case..runs well,but is ready for a new bar and chain...the little red homelite was free at a garage sale...

A 029 / 290 or bigger is a great saw, but overkill for a trail saw...

I packed my little Stihl 210 in the Runner, and never came across anything blocking the trail that it wouldn't cut out of my way.

A 029 / 290 or bigger is a great saw, but overkill for a trail saw...

I packed my little Stihl 210 in the Runner, and never came across anything blocking the trail that it wouldn't cut out of my way.

That's because someone already came through in a jeep with their stihl 066 and cleared the trail for you.:D

The ms250 would be fine. If you only have one saw, get a 029.

Last edited:
Man my cheap ol garage sale Huskies cut allot of firewood/road block this week off the side of the road.

I luvs me sum free ditch wood to go with a pair of thrifty saws.

im a husqvarna dealer and see many saws come into my shop. It usually doesnt matter the brand but more the up keep. Saws are a dirty tool and you have to clean them and they will be your best friend. I have a old 70's poulan 5300 countervibe with a 28in bar and a old jonsered with a 28in bar and a small arborist stihl and a old 2100 husky. I love the older saws!

I use an Stihl 034av 23ish bar that's a really hard start. I have to use starting fluid when I haven't used it in months. Once its started it runs like a raped ape.

I just bought a husqvarna rancher 455 from a dude i used to work with. it has a 20" bar on it and i love it!!!!! a couple years ago I bought a brand new stihl ms310 which is a little bigger than my husky, that i put a 24" bar on. love it too. yesterday I cut about 3 cords of wood with both to compare..... the stihl seems to be a little heavier and harder to start but has quite a bit more cutting power. the husky is very responsive and is very user friendly. love em both tho.:awesomework:

I use a 1976 Stihl 015 with a 14" bar. It has a full hard case to keep it clean when mounted to the back of the buggy. It gets well taken care of.

I have that same saw, I use it as a backup for limbing, the only downside is bumping the plug against my stomach while climbing....ouch! :haha: