• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gooseneck/bumper pull

Saw this on fb and thought of you Luke.
FB_IMG_1578852488442.jpg

Not all 3/4 tons are up to the task of heavy trailers. A guy came to look at my 38' enclosed gooseneck that I was selling with a 03 Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummins. The truck did't have factory helper springs like some 3/4 tons do and the trailer squatted the truck horribly. He would have needed air bags. The guy that bought it had a Ram 3500 SRW and the trailer put it on the helper springs like it did my Chevy without much squat at all.

A heavy bumper pull trailer can definitely cause frame damage:

View attachment 115919

So this pic - same thing happened twice to this guy. Once w/ an F350, then again w/ an F450. He welded the camper mounts to the front....and both times, the trucks folded right affected zone. I can't seem to find the pics, but those camper hold down brackets are bolt on and he welded on a bunch of plate....and it failed.

Here's a vid of his upgraded 450 in action:

So this pic - same thing happened twice to this guy. Once w/ an F350, then again w/ an F450. He welded the camper mounts to the front....and both times, the trucks folded right affected zone. I can't seem to find the pics, but those camper hold down brackets are bolt on and he welded on a bunch of plate....and it failed.

Here's a vid of his upgraded 450 in action:

Isn't that from the bed mounts rusting out,

Isn't that from the bed mounts rusting out,

I can't find the thread - was on some truck camper forum and it showed an f350 and his next 450 failing in the exact same spot, right near his welded on bracketry, both trucks not old enough for it to be a rust issue.

I think you throw all the weight on there and add that big ass trailer, with the leverage of an extended hitch....and she just gave out.

Here is our setup. 20ft deck over car hauler.
We have been running this same kind of set up for about 25 years. Different trucks, trailers and rigs. And we can get into some spots with this (primitive camp grounds) that 5th wheel trails cannot.
We have thought about the 5th wheel and making a redneck hauler quite a few times over the years.
And before the internet bully's come after us. that setup with the rig on it only has 500lb tounge weight. And the hitches is rated for 30,000lb.
And we also use a load leveler hitch.

Attachments

• 5436.jpg
    5436.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 262
I saw this sweet ass 3/4 ton Tundra last night so I snapped a pic. I wanted to stop the owner and ask him if he knows The Luke but he seemed busy trying not to run off the road.

Attachments

• 20200130_165029.jpg
    20200130_165029.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 20200130_165039.jpg
    20200130_165039.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 214
You think the interwebs would lie? Doubtttt it. Maybe I'm screwed from the get go because I'm missing 3 lug nuts in each corner? I bet that's it. Can I Redrill my stock wheels to be an 8 lug pattern? Or will wheel spaced/adapters suffice?
Some of yalls dads never used whatever truck they could afford for the task at hand and it shows.
Send me your address and I'll be sure to drive my big dumb load straight past your house.....if I don't run out of gas first. Who's damn idea was it to push such a little tank in my 9ton mrap axled tundra?
204A2E8B-9AED-4A65-90E3-76F0F2349F42.png
2A12022E-3723-4B5B-98C6-5BA4685EBEFA.png
918C0F2A-0798-49C9-9F6A-EE0B0E37EFBC.png

:stir::stir::dunno::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO1:thumb.gif

I have both....both have their advantages and disadvantages. I love the gooseneck for pulling heavier loads as in hay, tractor, 2 rigs and etc. but also the worry of pulling in places that you worry about getting into the bed/tailgate sucks, but it pulls better than a bumper pull, now if it's just me and 1 rig I go for the 20' bumper pull every time.

identifies as a mid-size truck for tax/tag/insurance purposes

(for states/counties that kinda stuff matters)... IIRC, in Indiana, anything over a 1/2t truck has to have special "truck/semi" tags and it costs like 5x more than regular tags. Other places are similar.