• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

got a ? about spools.

toyodaaddict

i run a spool in the rear of my short bed toyota and im very happy with it. my buddy is ready to gear his yj (8.8/d30) iv recommended he spool the 8.8 but we are wondering if a spool will behave poorly in a shorter wheel base yj. the yj's main purpose is trail use, not a DD but does see the street just like my toy. no trailers here. also any recommendations on what brand gears are good right now? iv always run yukon. thanks guys.

I ran a spool in the rear of my dd sami for awhile, and aside from the tire wear, I preferred it over a lockright. The only time I had it surprise me was when I tried diving across traffic into a parking lot and the ass-end wanted to come around when i hit the brakes a little hard. :haha: let off the brakes and it straightened right out. Don't drive like an asshat and you should be just fine.
When I was on ice or snow I generally had it in 4wd just so the steer tires would grab better, and never really had the rear try to come around.

I ran a spool in the rear of my dd sami for awhile, and aside from the tire wear, I preferred it over a lockright. The only time I had it surprise me was when I tried diving across traffic into a parking lot and the ass-end wanted to come around when i hit the brakes a little hard. :haha: let off the brakes and it straightened right out. Don't drive like an asshat and you should be just fine.
When I was on ice or snow I generally had it in 4wd just so the steer tires would grab better, and never really had the rear try to come around.

thanks for the input. i prefer spools over auto lockers as well but have very little experience with short wheel base vehicles. i just wanted to be sure i wasnt steering a friend in the wrong direction.

I ran a full spool for a couple of years in my YJ and replaced it with a Grizzly Zip Lock, similar to an ARB. The rig with a spool in really pushed and severely restricted the turning radius. It also tended to dart back and forth when driving on pavement, which wasn't often.

I DD'd a CJ5 with a spool in it for a while, I didn't notice any ill effects. I currently have a 4runner that the previous owner installed a detroit in the rear of, I'm seriously considering selling it and going with a spool.

I've known a couple guys who ran spools in their 8.8's. I don't know what it is about the carrier or what flexing, but both of them ALWAYS fought the ring gear bolts loosening up. Clean threads, Loctite, everything, bolts would still come loose.

i dont know for sure but i thought they didnt make a full spool, only a mini spool. This was back in 2010 so i don't know for sure but good luck with your search

If you are going to spool an 8.8 look at some of the drag racing stuff. The 8.8 is very popular in the fox bodies and there is a ton of parts for sale out there. A lot of times you can find a good used 35 spline spool for $100 or so.

change of plans (again) TOYOTA axles

I've known a couple guys who ran spools in their 8.8's. I don't know what it is about the carrier or what flexing, but both of them ALWAYS fought the ring gear bolts loosening up. Clean threads, Loctite, everything, bolts would still come loose.
this just sounds like another reason to go toy axles to me.

the plans for this build have flip flopped so many times its rediculous. he picked up a d300 today for a steal so now the toy axle idea is back on:D at this point what we are thinking is ax5 (for now), d300, and toy axles. down the road put a np231 in front of the 300. Im a toyota guy so i dont know **** about jeeps. aside from the fact we're mixing toy:awesomework: and jeep:puke::fawkdancesmiley: what do you all think, does this sound like a reasonable plan for a 4cyl jeep that runs with toyotas? any problems we may run into trying to make this happen ?

I have a spool on the rear of my YJ, Dana 70. I hate it. I mean it's alright I just hate how the wheel hops on sharp turns.

Hi all,

I don't have any experience with spools, but think if this guy wants to really 'wheel a YJ Wrangler he needs to ditch the 4 cylinder for a jeep with the 4.0L I-6. Or, plan on an engine swap sooner vs. later! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Alan

this just sounds like another reason to go toy axles to me.

the plans for this build have flip flopped so many times its rediculous. he picked up a d300 today for a steal so now the toy axle idea is back on:D at this point what we are thinking is ax5 (for now), d300, and toy axles. down the road put a np231 in front of the 300. Im a toyota guy so i dont know **** about jeeps. aside from the fact we're mixing toy:awesomework: and jeep:puke::fawkdancesmiley: what do you all think, does this sound like a reasonable plan for a 4cyl jeep that runs with toyotas? any problems we may run into trying to make this happen ?

I run Detroits f/r on my zuk and its shorter than the YJ and it handles pretty good. I like the simplicity of a spool but I like it to unlock around corners when I want it to.

Hi all,

I don't have any experience with spools, but think if this guy wants to really 'wheel a YJ Wrangler he needs to ditch the 4 cylinder for a jeep with the 4.0L I-6. Or, plan on an engine swap sooner vs. later! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Alan

why do you you say this, is the 2.5 a unreliable engine? something else? or is this typical ''4 cylinders are for fags'' bs? toyota's have been gettin it done with 90-120 hp for years and i believe the 2.5 is 130? he has no complaints with power on the trail and the 5.29's will help alot on the road. im not trying to sound like i know it all. i certainly dont and especially not about jeeps, infact im lost. is there something im missing about the jeep 2.5? if it was mine id put an RZ under the hood and run all toy from the frame down:D

why do you you say this, is the 2.5 a unreliable engine? something else? or is this typical ''4 cylinders are for fags'' bs? toyota's have been gettin it done with 90-120 hp for years and i believe the 2.5 is 130? he has no complaints with power on the trail and the 5.29's will help alot on the road. im not trying to sound like i know it all. i certainly dont and especially not about jeeps, infact im lost. is there something im missing about the jeep 2.5? if it was mine id put an RZ under the hood and run all toy from the frame down:D

It's gutless.... And the ax5 transmission behind is terrible. Plus a 231 low range of 2.72 is just not enough.....even with 5.29s. It's an engine where you will always be wanting more....

It's gutless.... And the ax5 transmission behind is terrible. Plus a 231 low range of 2.72 is just not enough.....even with 5.29s. It's an engine where you will always be wanting more....
i think i get whats being said about the engine, but thats gonna be the situation with any 4cyl right? not enough power to be fully satisfied on the road but enough to get the job done offroad? thats what im used to, running 22r/22re's and duals. because its a 4cyl the plan is build it like a yota. toy axle, ax5/D300 then when the ax5 goes move on to a ax15, 231/300 doubler, 35-36'' tires max. i know this isnt for everyone but i like that its a bit different. i guess if the 2.5 turns out to be as big of a turd as said maybe an 2/3RZ and w56 will be the answer.:redneck: i doubt the toy axles will be happy under a 4.0

You're right the Toys have been making the 4cylinder work for decades off road, the jeep 4 will work just like the toy 4 does. I had a cj5 yrs ago with toy axles and it worked fine for a trail rig. Doublers with a four popper makes the difference (that's why their so popular with the underpowered toyota guys). Build the jeep a little unique, there's no reason you have to keep with the usual Toyota or Jeep builds. It's ok if jeeps and toyotas touch.

Last edited: