• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

got a ? about spools.

I've known a couple guys who ran spools in their 8.8's. I don't know what it is about the carrier or what flexing, but both of them ALWAYS fought the ring gear bolts loosening up. Clean threads, Loctite, everything, bolts would still come loose.

Even happens with a detroit.

Lockwire, manufactured by miller or lincoln or hobart is your friend. :awesomework:

My 60 is lockwired too. But I drilled the heads on all the bolts and did it right. :D

Running a 4cyl. is fine, but they have two distinct problems over running a larger stronger engine: first they have very little power for Hwy. driving particularly mountain roads and second they cannot create enough wheel speed quickly enough to conquer some climbs/mud bogs off road. As a past owner of several 4cyl. Toyota 4x4's and several 4cyl. TJ's as well this is coming from firsthand experience. The 4.0L over the 2.5L in a Jeep is a huge increase in usable torque that can make all the difference during some obstacles. Saying that, 4cyl.'s have been getting vehicles through the trails for decades and doublers or low crawler gears really make a big difference, but there will always be one or two obstacles where having a stronger motor will make all the difference towards having success.

I run a welded rear diff. daily in my Jeep LJ it's our only vehicle right now and the wife drives it daily too. Other then chirping tires when cornering sharply, increased rear tire wear and the need to be cautious when accelerating through slippery corners a spool is a great traction device. You can expect a larger turning circle as well due to a spool pushing the vehicle in a straight line more so then any other diff. I prefer a spool over an automatic locker due to the fact the auto lockers load and unload often which creates unwanted affects on the vehicle.

Now speaking about Jeeps with Toyota parts I personally do not like the idea of swapping a Jeep drivetrain for a Toyota one, but to each there own. I suppose if you are wheeling exclusively with Toyotas everyone carrying the same spares etc. would be an advantage, then again Jeeps don't fail on the trail.:fawkdancesmiley:

Last edited:
I run a spool in my yj, its a dana 60 rear. I dont have any major issues to complain about, i dont street drive though. Lots of brands of spools and can go larger axles like stated..