• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Got a Q' about lockers

sly-yota

so im not sure exactly what locker is in the back of my toyota, it locks up really soft and when i make a sharp turn off throttle it has a really quiet click sound that isnt anything like how loud my friends lock-rite is.

but my main Q' is, What kind of locker is best for the front? a softer locker like the one in my rear or a lock-rite thats fairly hard or? I've heard a spool and or welding is a big no-no in the front (didnt plan on it anyways..dont worry) as it does more damage than good and makes it a royal PITA to turn.

So what kind of lockers are you guys/gals running and how do you like them? (if you have an air locker/e-locker just shush... we know your the ****..)

Last edited:
You seem to have forgotten the question part of the process.

My wife has selectable lockers, but not me. Something about that seems wrong :haha:

You seem to have forgotten the question part of the process.

My wife has selectable lockers, but not me. Something about that seems wrong :haha:

meant to quote myself and deleted the question. :mad::haha:

this is to you kat..
(if you have an air locker/e-locker just shush... we know your the ****..) :fawkdancesmiley::fawkdancesmiley::fawkdancesmiley::awesomework::kissmyass:

Just an idea, but y not pull the 3rd out of the rear of your truck put in the front and weld or spool your rear. . . .

I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion about it, but if this is your DD vehicle and you intend to drive it on snowy/icy roads, I would not put in an autolocker of any sort. If there isn't enough traction to let the locker ratchet, it won't disengage and you go straight, no matter what.

I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion about it, but if this is your DD vehicle and you intend to drive it on snowy/icy roads, I would not put in an autolocker of any sort. If there isn't enough traction to let the locker ratchet, it won't disengage and you go straight, no matter what.

I drive a rear spooled rig daily and I put about 70+ thousand a year on it. Yeah sometimes wet weather driving is alittle hairy but you get use 2 it just like with any other car. In my opinion anytime you mod the drivetrain of a vehicle or the suspension you should treat it like a fresh bought car. Is what I mean is drive it like you just bought the thing and you r trying to geth used to it. Now going out and hotrodding instantly cause you did all the work 2 your car. . .

Hijack over

oh p.s. **** the yotas go 1tons:redneck:

Hi All:

I'm been running a Lockrite in the rearend of my FJ40 for several years, and an Aussie Locker (Lockrite clone) in the frontend for the last few.

These auto lockers work well, though I'm not sure whether I'd install one in a front axle that did not have lock-out hubs.

Yes, having an auto locker in the front affects steering to some degree, but one also has to factor in the steering system on the rig.

Frankly, in an 'wheeling rig, if it was a question of whether to run an open diff in the front or auto locker I'd choose the Lockrite or Aussie any day!

Regards,

Alan

so im not sure exactly what locker is in the back of my toyota, it locks up really soft and when i make a sharp turn off throttle it has a really quiet click sound that isnt anything like how loud my friends lock-rite is.

but my main Q' is, What kind of locker is best for the front? a softer locker like the one in my rear or a lock-rite thats fairly hard or? I've heard a spool and or welding is a big no-no in the front (didnt plan on it anyways..dont worry) as it does more damage than good and makes it a royal PITA to turn.

So what kind of lockers are you guys/gals running and how do you like them? (if you have an air locker/e-locker just shush... we know your the ****..)

I drive a rear spooled rig daily and I put about 70+ thousand a year on it. Yeah sometimes wet weather driving is alittle hairy but you get use 2 it just like with any other car. In my opinion anytime you mod the drivetrain of a vehicle or the suspension you should treat it like a fresh bought car. Is what I mean is drive it like you just bought the thing and you r trying to geth used to it. Now going out and hotrodding instantly cause you did all the work 2 your car. . .

Hijack over

oh p.s. **** the yotas go 1tons:redneck:

I didn't specifically mention it, but I was talking about the front axle since that's what he's talking about.

I have no problem with a locker or spool in the rear. I DD with a spool in the rear as well. No problems there. It's the unselectable locker in the front that I don't like when in 4wd on ice. Obviously with the hubs unlocked, it's not an issue, but the low-traction characteristics of an autolocker are a bad deal for the steering axle.

go Detroit lockers front and rear. you will never have to worry about anything ever again. no air no electronics. just plain and simple ass loads of traction

I ran a locrite in the front for many years andhad no problem running it on the road(only lock one hub on icye days or wit a locked rear you should have to engae four wheel that offen any ways IMO. I had no issue turning with the locrite. BUT EVERY ONE HAS THERE OWN REMARK ABOUT EVERYTHING:beer:

My best advice, dont worry about opinions and do research, read a lot on all the different differentials that will fit your truck and then make a decision.

I ran a locrite in the front for many years andhad no problem running it on the road(only lock one hub on icye days or wit a locked rear you should have to engae four wheel that offen any ways IMO. I had no issue turning with the locrite. BUT EVERY ONE HAS THERE OWN REMARK ABOUT EVERYTHING:beer:

X2 :awesomework::awesomework:

ive had my front ifs weld in the front a yota and it isnt bad ...just the one hub thing and its not bad in the snow... for the rear u would haveta try it to see it will spin u around if u dont know what ur up too

you gotta be more careful even with the rear locker on the ice.
locking the front means you gotta be that much more careful.
ask youself is that worth it, if so go buy another of your favorite brand. what are you running in back?

like i said i dont know whats in the rear right now, been too damn lazy to actually pop it appart and figure it out but i do like it alot. As far as welding... you have no idea how many welded difs i have driven...lmao.. i dont have a problem with it untill i have to go buy tires.. :mad:

but ya, i wasnt asking for say as something im looking into, im just asking as to see what lockers people are running and how they like them compared to another type of locker someone is running. :corn:

I know i can research and i have to get the info i wanted before i buy a locker and i have a lock-rite for the front in a third on my bench, i took it out and threw in an open front for the winter so i can drive it a little safer on the streets and not have to worry at all. :awesomework:

oh and welding and/or spooling the front is not an option for me. I've driven a truck with a welded front and i cant stand how it feels, hard as hell to turn and i hit a tree when i gassed it... not a chance in my truck.:eeek:

If I had the money Detroit front and keep the lunch-box rear until it breaks then grab some spiders and weld it up.

If you've got the money selectable is the nicest option but they have more things to go wrong than the detroit does.

ya, i was debating throwing my lock-rite in the rear and the softer locker thats back there now in the front to see what if any diff' it makes. The only thing is a friend of mine has a lock-rite in the front and back of his toyota and he's getting a binding chirping hop from his rear and it actually makes his axle hop almost its so bad... kinda scary, he blames it on the lock-right.. im kinda sceptical.

If I had the money Detroit front and keep the lunch-box rear until it breaks then grab some spiders and weld it up.

If you've got the money selectable is the nicest option but they have more things to go wrong than the detroit does.

like what? what can go wrong with an elocker that is not going to happen to a detroit?

Something else (hub, shaft etc) can break and kill a detroit (common). Cant do that to an elocker (not likely).

just noticed you said "selectable" not elocker.

Yeah your right. ARBs are a pos and fussy.:corn: