• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Got propane kit issue

84YotaBoy

i have the got propane kit for my samurai with 1.3 i just installed it and its wasn't starting so i went thru the system i directly connected solenoid to battery for testing so i know i have power. I have checked the pressure valve on the regulator but i am not getting propane to the mixer i even took off hose to it and smelled for propane and there was nothing does anyone have any ideas thanks

Bad solenoid, or empty tank? Hook it directly up without solenoid and see if it fires or if you get propane out of the hose.

Did you purge the air out in the coolant lines that run through your vaporizer? If I don't purge the air on mine it will not run. I do have a little bypass button on my vaporizer that will allow it to fuel if no coolant is running through the system. Have you tried that, assuming you have that option?

What vaporizer do you have? I had to take mine apart and rebuild it (it was 7 parts or so and took 15 mins) I was having a flooding problem with mine though but if your not getting fuel to the mixer I'd check that next... Also if you have the slightest bit of moisture in your filter the pane will freeze that and cause issues (especially if you don't have coolant going through the vaporizer)

system should be solenoid-filter-vaporizer-mixer...

Take the solenoid out and hook line back up without it, watch it fire right up! Just cause you got power to the solenoid doesnt mean its gonna work. I never have to purge or do anything with mine, even the first time after install. Spray all your fittings with soapy water to check for leaks.

Definitely sounds like a solenoid. Can you hear/feel it click when you put power to it?

If it turns out not to be the solenoid, I would just give Cary a call, he was super helpful when I ran into issue with mine and I've heard the same thing from others as well.

Its a brand new kit id hope the solenoid wasnt bad but who knows when i connect solenoid directly to battery i can here and feel a click my regulator doesnt have a spot to purge the air but there is a pressure test plug that i can open and hear and smell propane coming out could the solenoid still be bad if im still getting propane into the regulator

My main issue when setting up propane was freezing the regulator. I suggest starting it on gasoline(spray bottle in the mixer) get it fired up and bleed the air out of the coolant.

Flooding a propane system is also common.It happened often with my techno carb rip off set up. Since its a vapor it does not seem flooded like gasoline. I would open the butterfly valve wide open and blast shop air into the intake to blow the propane vapor out.

With either situation, start it with gasoline in a spray bottle to make sure it fires up. Stay away from starting fluid. A rag soaked in gasoline sitting over the air filter or intake also works quite well.

Report your findings

Do you have a ground wire to the solenoid? Electricals need power and ground to work! Also, I just had a problem with the valve seat in my tank freezing so it couldn't fill or allow fuel out. With the valve in teh vertical position, pour warm (not quite boiling) water over it.

Ditch the electrical portion of the install and put in a manual ball valve close to drivers seat or somewhere easy to reach.Pull line off going into mixer and wait for propane, then hook back up and fire it up. I installed the same kit from carey and fired right up first turn of the key, with the solenoid,have never made any adjustments at all. I do also have a ball valve in line in case the noid fails, I can just bypass it without issues.

Last edited:
thanks ill give the gas a shot since i had to drain my coolant when replacing the heater i bet there is a few air pockets i know the solenoid works i can hear it click when power is connected i got cary from gotpropane respond he said to suck on the hose and that will get the propane flowing

I have a samurai with a got propane kit. I can swing by your place next week if you cant figure it out. Id say ditch the shutoff until you get it dialed in. It is normal to crank and pump the pedal for 15 seconds or so if it is cold. Push the button on the vaporizer and it should help start right up, you can hear and feel the gas flow when you push it. Im running different NGK plugs and sometimes you will have to mess with the big screw on the side if it doesnt restart when warm.

Last edited:
Another thing is that you can remove all the emissions and pcv crap. Propane is real sensitive to vacuum leaks. And some samis blow blue smoke because of the pcv system. Mine will run on the rev limiter at 6000 rpm with no problems.

im rewiring the whole thing then ill work on the propane again ill just douboe check all my vacuum lines again thanks for the help ill see if i cant get it going this week

i can get propane out when sucking on it still no luck i then found out i had a bad coil with no spark replaced that and still not getting spark and imm pretty sure i have everything wired correct just would be nice to get done soon so i can go wheel:D