• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Grooving Swampers is there too much?

Joop enlighten me on the pattern you would of run? The tires only have roughly 25%-35% so I figured anything would have helped. Ive only done the fronts so far and I havent touched the rears yet. What should I grove? The tires I usually groove are Hoosiers that go on the race bikes so i figured any edges I could make for forward bite would help and Im still trying to figure something for more side bite.

Last edited:
I would of done the little side nubs in the other direction but i'm sure it will do just fine on the sammy. I'd wheel em.:beer:

Joop enlighten me on the pattern you would of run? The tires only have roughly 25%-35% so I figured anything would have helped. Ive only done the fronts so far and I havent touched the rears yet. What should I grove? The tires I usually groove are Hoosiers that go on the race bikes so i figured any edges I could make for forward bite would help and Im still trying to figure something for more side bite.

Here's how I have mine carved up.
2009-08-02181137.jpg

I still have the groover so i think that all my middle lugs are going to get somemore groves in them. just to try and open them up some more, probably something similar to what you guys have done. Im thinking going with a 45* grove on the larger middle lugs and leaving the smaller ones alone. we'll see just anything to soften them up a little more. When I bought the Zuk i drove it home on a flat left front.... rig dosent weigh enough to compress the tire. I thank you all for your input.

Last edited:
I still have the groover so i think that all my middle lugs are going to get somemore groves in them. just to try and open them up some more, probably something similar to what you guys have done.

Dont groove them to much Adam..... You will make a tsl into an all terrain.:haha:

You should see what I do to brand new Hoosiers and American Racers for my race bike... its sad to take that much rubber out of a tire that you replace everyother saturday.

When I grooved mine I had a pretty big pile on the ground. It is a lot of rubber that gets wasted.

When I grooved mine I had a pretty big pile on the ground. It is a lot of rubber that gets wasted.

Try grooving a new set... On my sx's I just cut a 1/2x1/2" chunk out of the center lugs and had a big pile.

On my 44's the one was already grooved 3/4x1/2" in the center and each large and medium lug has a groove through them... I'm going to have a huge pile of $$ sitting on the floor. :haha:

The guys at my dad's shop almost died when I rolled my brand new 38.5" SX's into the just shutoff powdercoating oven to warm them up for grooving.

"your doing what to your brand new tires? :eeek:"

:redneck:

grooved my 39.5" boggers on my mud racer to the chords and removed every third lug. Took over 40# of rubber off each tire:redneck:. Took a long time to do it, daam my hands would get sore.:mad: