• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

head gaskets?

reefermadnes

So when I took my heads off to prep them for propane the head gaskets that came off were a steel shim style not paper or composite etc. There stamped gm #462691 and Im having trouble finding them(discontinued) and cant find a cross reference either. Is there benefit to the steel vs others and can anyone find a part # on these?

fel pro is hard to beat.

<this is guy just rebuilt his 1975 SBC yesterday using felpro gaskets, and has owned a shop for a while and only uses fel pro.

I wouldn't assume the gaskets that came off were the correct or best ones to use. Is this a performance application? Google "quench".

As far as steel shim gaskets sometimes they are what's needed if the gasket is very thin. Lots of people have had issues with them leaking when not installed correct or if the head and block are not perfectly flat. I've used them with good results.

Stopped by the machine shop that did the heads and they picked me up some fel-pro #501 sd(severe duty) gaskets which replaces the #10105117, On my way out to my dads shop right now to start installing the top end of my motor, dont know if i will get to the install of the propane kit just yet, Im tempted to just throw my gas tank and carb back on so I can make a wheelin trip planned over in liberty july 10th-13th. ****in jones`n to hit the trails:mad: Progress Pics to follow later today.