• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Headphones for buggies

Rockwells607

I'm not the most tech savey person but would like to get some radio headsets for our buggies that me and my wife can talk back and fourth between loud buggies on the trail. I don't know what I'm looking for , blue tooth units, CB radios with head sets? Any input and recommendations would be great

Can you add headsets to the rugged radios or just the hand held? With open headers I think we need headsets . We use Bluetooth in the race buggy helmets and they work great but they attach in the helmets and for Rec wheeling we don't wear helmets like that

I see a bunch of blue tooth headsets on Amazon for gaming but have no idea how they work or if they'd work for this application

Depends how much you want to spend. The best headsets hands down that I have used are Firecom headsets. We use the wired system in our first in fire engine with a Federal Q2b siren (123 decibels :woot:). This past summer I was using a 700 hp airboat for work. You could hear the thing from space :****:. The other biologist and I both had the wireless Firecom headset system with the free talk and I could hear everything he said, even while cruising. I think they are in the $400 range for the wireless. But if I was going to get some those would be it. They also have a set with a soft over the top strap with the hard strap being behind your head so you can wear a helmet with them.

http://www.firecom.com/products/wireless-headsets/uhw503/

Toddy said:
For the most part I think Bluetooth is only good out to about 30 feet or so.

I found several on Amazon that stated 800-1000 meter range.

I picked up a couple baofeng vhf handheld radios. I also have an older Motorola handheld and I'll program the new radios to the same frequency. These work great on the trail.

Re: Re: Headphones for buggies

Rockwells607 said:
Can you add headsets to the rugged radios or just the hand held? With open headers I think we need headsets . We use Bluetooth in the race buggy helmets and they work great but they attach in the helmets and for Rec wheeling we don't wear helmets like that
Rugged can set it up to chat between people within the rig. Full headsets with mic. Can also plug in music into the box to have best of both worlds.

Side note: running full exhaust could help your hearing and everyone else's around you.

Baofeng has a few radios that you can put a speaker in your helmet and you could strap the push to talk button on your harness. We have used these in the past when sledding out west in the mountains. You can be riding and use the push to talk button and still hear and be heard loud and clear while moving. BCA also offers there radios that people say are 1 of the best. I know a lot of dirt bike guys use these on the trails out there also might be worth looking into. http://backcountryaccess.com/product-category/bc-link-radios/