• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Heater Questions

Benhoward384

My heater was working fine on my 97 ZJ 5.2, I did a complete coolant flush on the engine yesterday and now I'm not getting hot air. I spliced into the heater inlet hose with a flushing tee and flushed the system that way. I have no leaks anywhere. I will get hot air for a second then it cools down and if I turn the nob to cold air it defintely blows cold and if I turn it back to heat I can feel the temperature change but it's defintely not blowing hot and the truck is getting up to temp. Also if I sit there and rev the thing real high I will get hotter air but at idle or driving around unless I'm at high rpm's the thing blows cold. I'm stumped.

Was the heat fine before flushing???? You likely have an air bubble in the system, or the core is partially restricted....

Yes the heater worked completely fine before I flushed the system. Hip, I'm not understanding what you're telling me to do.

Locate the highest point in the cooling system, and bleed the air from there...also, try removing the lines from the heater core, and reverse-flush the core....might be some scale restricting the inlet....

May be stupid question but I have to ask. I back flushed the system through the inlet hose. Is back flushing the same as reverse flushing or is reverse flushing going through the other hose?

And just to make sure I understand correctly if reverse flushing and back flushing the system. To reverse flush I splice into the other hose with a flushing T and run the hose water through it?

Take both heater hoses off at the engine end, and flush the core both ways a few times...reinstall the hoses, then top off the system and bleed the air...

Take both heater hoses off at the engine end, and flush the core both ways a few times...reinstall the hoses, then top off the system and bleed the air...

Exactly what i was going to suggest if zukkev did not beat me to it like he always does. :fawkdancesmiley: