• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Heep 242 T/case question

Outback

How much power can safely be stuffed into a NP242 Transfer case figuring a 38" tire diameter, and auto trans?

No, I have no intrest in a diferent T/case if I was I'd just go Atlas, but I need the F/Time FWD Option that the 242 has in this project.

TIA!:beer:

Chris

lol not that itll do you any good, but ive got the undisputed king of NV transfer cases... an NV271F. GOOOOD stuff, maynerd.

I dont know if the Cherokee had the nv241hd, or not. It would be an appropriate case to use, though. What spline is your trans output? and what trans is it, for that matter?

Last edited:
lol not that itll do you any good, but ive got the undisputed king of NV transfer cases... an NV271F. GOOOOD stuff, maynerd.

I dont know if the Cherokee had the nv241hd, or not. It would be an appropriate case to use, though. What spline is your trans output? and what trans is it, for that matter?

Engine: Semi-Built 5.0L Roller Ford. Say and honest 300-BHP and 6000-RPM capable.
Trans: Want a 5-speed, but thinking AOD... Could be TH350... So, spline count not decided.
The rest...
Narrowed Ford D44 and 9" Linked front 16+inches WT. Something in the rear but haven

Engine: Semi-Built 5.0L Roller Ford. Say and honest 300-BHP and 6000-RPM capable.
Trans: Want a 5-speed, but thinking AOD... Could be TH350... So, spline count not decided.
The rest...
Narrowed Ford D44 and 9" Linked front 16+inches WT. Something in the rear but haven

ok, that helps me out.

If I may ask, because I am not aware of your ideas here.... Is there a particular reason for the full time? on snow, it may not be optimal to have all four tires lock up when you tag the brake. Is it perhaps due to the ability to stay inside the rig and not get out to turn in the hubs? 4wd is possibly (arguably) most dangerous when used in the snow, as the loss of control in braking is sometimes a really bad thing.

Ok, my rant is done.

the np241 is available with 23, 27, 31, and 32 spline inputs. all of these should be supported with drivers side drop cases. If you need a passengers side drop case, there is one available for chevy and ford made in the late 80s, early 90s.

Naturally, the ford will have the 31 spline output and bolt right up to the AOD trans. If you decided to keep the ford idea and use a Ford 5 speed trans from, say, a 91 pickup, you would still have a 31 spline output, and the transfer case would bolt right up.

Snow...
Yup full time 4WD as in a center Diff is mandatory!
I've logged thousands of miles in it and at speed you do not even want to think about 2WD. Think factory Rally. The fastest cars are AWD which is no more then FT without a low range. On Monday I did 80 miles on snow and Ice in an Electronic 4WD Ford. The rest of the time in our Suzuki GV. Full Time 4WD is the only way to fly as you do not have to basically stop and shift when the snow gets spotty on the pavement. Hence the NP242 case.
The front axle will have hubs so ya still have to turn them in...
This is a DD NOT a Trail build... Though I would like to be able to wheel the wee out of it!:D

Chris

wooops! screwed up my own post...
where it says "Ford" on the passengers side drop, I was thinking dodge and typing something else... My apologies.

wooops! screwed up my own post...
where it says "Ford" on the passengers side drop, I was thinking dodge and typing something else... My apologies.

Man I hate it when that happens!:mad:
But I know what ya waz say'n:beer:

Chris

It happens when yer sick, at home, outta beer... in the spare room.. and the wifey wont touch ya...Gawd I hate that.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Why didn't you say ya was a sicko!
Prolly got some:puke: oozing out the keyboard here
Geeeez! Now I got'a go wash:fawkdancesmiley:

C

What I think I learned

Take the standard 242J and fill it with the planetarys out of the 242AMD gives you the max rating while keeping the 2WD opting that was dropped when this case went from 242J to the 242HD

So then today a local shop owner, while I'm at his shop getting a rough quote on having our PITA Suzy repaired says why not just take this complete 351W/C6/208 out of here and stuff it in the Ranger so there may be something I never thought about doing... At the whopping price of free it will be at least good trading stock...

Chris

Yes, thought about it...
Never own any gearbox that is shifted by pushing a button; it will fork ya…
The 4405 has no 2WD option…
The only case that has both fulltime and Part time 4WD that I have found is the 242J.
I suppose that I could back off my "wants" but… I'm going to put a lot of miles on this Ranger and 6-months a year I can be in snow… The other 6 I'll be 85% dry pavement so 2WD for fuel milage....
I wish I could get the 4-Speed Atlas with a Center locking Diff!

Chris

...? I'm not getting why you don't want to just run a part time case in 4hi?

Hmmm..
The easy answer is because **** will brake. :booo:
The drama of a PT case in High range on Snow and Ice at 50 to 80-MPH is only fun if you are safely outside the vehicle as a spectator! :cheer:
The hours that I spend at speed on patchy snow and Ice are huge. If your Snowheeling is limited to busting trail on occasion in the hills then I completely understand your question.
The difference between that kind of fun and running the mountain passes where you are driving through conditions that vary from bare pavement to drifts of snow make driving with a PT case a PITA! Further as was pointed out above when you are in 4WD High the front and rear axles are locked together mechanically. If you use the brakes you effectively use all the brakes at the same time and amount. Bad **** WILL happen!
Then there is the PITA of having to shift the T/C often at speed because you went from snow to pavement. I do not recommend that you try it but imagine what happens when you come off a slick surface and on to one that gives you tremendous traction while in 4 high at 50+MPH! I