• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help me build a parts list for Vortec 5.7 swap

Avanteone

Beginnings of this swap have been discussed elsewhere, but I'm going with the '98 5.7 Vortec/4L60 swap into my YJ.

My goal is to rip out the stock motor/trans. starting the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend, and have it ready for snow wheeling on New Years Day. I would like to plan far enough ahead that I have no/few surprises. Help me out filling in the blanks on stuff I need to acquire in order to complete this. My PLAN is to be able to leave the Atlas where it is currently positioned in order to not have to re-do crossmembers, mountings, drivelines, etc. I know the T-case adapter will add a little bit of length, but overall engine length will be less with the V8.

So, to begin the list:

Obviously, my 5.7, 4L60, wiring harness, PCM
Motor mount kit from AA, Novak, or ?
Aluminum radiator from AA, Novak, or ?
Input shaft, 4L60E adapter from AA
Some sort of aftermarket shifter if I can't make my column shift work
Block hugger headers
Custom exhaust system
Mechanical clutch fan? Or GOOD electric setup?
Custom p/s lines - GM pump to YJ box

Help me with fuel system. I'm running stock YJ pickup/pump in a Genright tank. It doesn't build enough pressure for the 5.7, best solution?

I am THINKING of pinning-out the OEM wiring harness myself, weeding out all unnecessary connectors, etc. Or am I better off just buying a harness? Depending on where this list goes and what unexpected items come up, a full custom harness may not be in the budget. Performance Prep in Fed. Way will be doing the custom PCM programming when I'm done, getting rid of the EVAP, EGR, and all unnecessary electronic stuff. I also plan on a new camshaft, and some custom PCM programming once all together.

TIA for the help!

John

What is the pressure on a stock YJ pump? I would think that adapting a GM in-tank pump to the YJ sending unit wouldn't be too tough. I don't recommend an external pump. I'm running an MSD external pump on my TPI setup and I'm not too happy with it. Noisy as hell and has crapped out on me a couple times. I'll change back to an in-tank pump this winter.

I'd just re-work the factory GM harness. It's really not that tough and allows for a better fit to the rig. I have a few extra Vortec connectors in my collection if you're missing anything.

I agree, I'd really like to do an in-tank pump. Thinking I can just modify my sender/pickup slightly and run the vortec in-tank pump that builds the correct pressure and not have to change anything else:

FE0114a_Vanity_Image.jpg

John,
When I did the TBI 350 into my TJ, the best thing I found was having access to the factory Chev and Chrysler shop manuals for the wiring schematics.
Also, on my TJ's harness, the guages got there signals from the computer. Ergo, when I removed the now-defunct Chrysler computer, my factory guages (including tach, speedo, etc) were inoperative. My GM computer was unable to feed the TJ's factory guages, neccessitating a new guage
cluster
Tony

edit..... other things I think of afterwards. My factory TJ pump was sufficient for my application (TBI), you might have enough pressure... dunno. Also, my GM motor required a return fuel line. The Chrysler motor didn't. So I had to run another line back. That also required me to put a T-fitting in the fuel tank to return the fuel to the tank. Regarding exhaust headers, I chose factory manifolds. I did have to switch out the driver's side to a Ram's horn style in order for the crossover pipe to clear the front differential.

If I think of other stuff , I'll continue to edit this post.

Last edited:
Mine's kinda the opposite of yours, Tony. My YJ is all mechanical gauges, it'll be easy to get them to work. I'm doing a vortec MPFI motor in place of my 4.0. The vortec is single line, mine is/was a return system. My 4.0 does like 35psi fuel pressure and the vortec requires like 55, so stock pump won't work. TJ style pump would work I think but I'd have to swap out my Genright tank... I think I can make the GM pump work in my sender. And yes, I have access to all wiring harness/schematics/manuals, I'm not worried about the actual wiring too much. Thanks!

I am running a in line pump part#N69100 bosch that I got at napa runs quiet and cool very cheap under $100.I think its for a ford ranger but delivers the pressure you need.Running a F.A.S.T stand alone harness very nice product have had good luck but not so cheap.:awesomework:

Thanks for the good deal on beadlocks and 40s they should work sweat.:cool:

Last edited:
Mine's kinda the opposite of yours, Tony. My YJ is all mechanical gauges, it'll be easy to get them to work. I'm doing a vortec MPFI motor in place of my 4.0. The vortec is single line, mine is/was a return system. My 4.0 does like 35psi fuel pressure and the vortec requires like 55, so stock pump won't work. TJ style pump would work I think but I'd have to swap out my Genright tank... I think I can make the GM pump work in my sender. And yes, I have access to all wiring harness/schematics/manuals, I'm not worried about the actual wiring too much. Thanks!

I am running the 97' 5.7l suburban in tank pump for the last couple years and love it. Mine was about $80 and came with a sock, wiring connector and gas resistant wiring. It is super quiet, sucks at all angles, its sweet.

Also, if you are going to run AN lines you will need two adapters for the fuel lines, there are the 16 and 18mm (I think) metric o-ring to AN 6. They have them at summit.

Latest posts