• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

help me..!!

blakeski

:looser: i bought 4 inch marlin springs for the front... 1. my pinion angel is way to harsh 2.the center pin was like 2 inches foward from the other springs i had... man, im all messed up... someone give me some pointers..
am i going to have to grind the perches off and weld new ones on..?!?! :masturbanana[1]: i dont know im lost...!! HELP ME :haha:

am i going to have to grind the perches off and weld new ones on..?!?!

If it's only a few degrees, you could do the easy choice and put shims in. The best way would be to cut off the perches and weld on new ones to give you proper angle.

What does marlin recomend? or what do they say about instalation? do they mention axel work? or is it just a simple swap?

I hate to say it but did they ship the wrong ones? were these ment for a rig with the axel fwd?

marlin said that they would fit 79-85 trucks and 4runners...they dont say anything about moving perches or anything... i looked on there site.. and even in there tech page and is doesnt say anything about the spring swaps. so im not sure :wtf: to do...

Start a thread at Marlin asking. Big Mike is online now. He is pretty good about helping

well i got on the marlin thread and one guy says i need to build a spring hanger for the front ...:eeek: so im really confused...and me trying to find and answer is makin it worse:mad: :haha:

I'll buy the springs from you and solve your problem.

The springs move the axle forward. You can build or buy a hanger if you want, but this wont help any of your problems IMO. Just get some shims to try and correct the angle if its not that bad, or cut the spring perches off and weld new ones on. Make sure your steering links are still ok, and make sure your front driveline is still ok for slip joint travel.

~T.J.

Last edited:
well i dont want to get rid of the springs... i just got them yesterday...:flipoff: hahahah... i will take some pics and post in a few min...

your center pins being forward is not a bad thing, better approach angle, and wont rub cab with tires as easily. your pinion angle will come back a little when the springs break in so i wouldnt worry too much unless its REAL BAD. If your shackles are really long that doesnt help the pinion angle either.

they are aftermarket one... not sure of the brand.. the :rb: gold ones ...confer i think.. i painted em black anyway...

ill have pics up in a few mins..

ok now before any body calls me a:looser: hysteer will b here befor friday:D its not on yet.. i had it all put together already and with just the push pull steerig it drives down the road... but not a chance at driving it in 4wheel... the angle is so harsh that it binds when you lock in the hubs. i have them hung in the stock mounts.. it was a mofo getting them in tho..but as you can see the u bolt plate is laid way back.. the whole axle is rolled back...so take a look in the pics and tell me what ya see
uboltplate.jpg

pinionangle.jpg

frontperch-1.jpg

not going for a tall truck just enough height so im not doing huge mods to the body... i had pro comp 3" spring and shackles up front and it wasnt bad then... i now have marlin 4" with shackles in the front and old man emu 2.5" with shackles in the rear... and a 2 inch body lift..and im running 35's ...im putting the marlin 4" springs in the rear as well... and i know that those need new perchs f/r.

put duel cases in that will help the driveline angle. it moves the front output on the t-case back. With those springs i would suggest cutting off the perches and rotating them, but do it carefully, not something you want to do twice

see thats what i dont understand tho... marlin never said anything about having to do such a mod to make the springs work... i have d-cases in mind and im in the process of getting them... should i wait till i get the cases befor i cut and rotate..?

with the axle a little more forward you might have issues with rubing the lower front fenders, but you can do a nice job triming that part. use a cutting wheel on an angle grinder and go slow. Ultimatlely lower is better with big tires, so triming fenders is almost always a must for serious off road.

im sure marlins springs are designed to be mounted with the stock shackles, then it would probably be fine. unbolt the top shacle bolt and fold it back, then set your truck down, with the springs toucking the frame. let all the wieght down and see if there is a drumatic difference in the angle, if so there is your answer, shorten your shacles. thats just another option.

Latest posts