• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help My Bronco wont start.

bigstump

-=Captain sensitive=-
I was wheeling in the Mt. Hood national forest last week when my Bronco just quit. I got it fired back up for about 30 seconds and then nothing since. I have found several small problems and fixed them, installed new plugs, cap, rotor and wires. I'm going for the fuel pump and filter next. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Except for getting ride of it.:haha: Love my full size!!

My first suggestion is, quit throwing parts at it.

Do you have spark? Do you have fuel to the carb? Do you have compression?

Will it fire if you spray starting fluid, carb cleaner, a splash of gas, etc. into the carb? Does it even have a carb, or is it FI?

More details on the rig won't hurt. I agree with Crusty... first thing is to stop spending money on new parts and do some troubleshooting. Fuel? Spark?

Did not have time to do anything with it last night, yes it's FI, it's got the Ford Duraspark distributor, it had spark on Mt. Hood. I had it running again up there for about 30 seconds then nothing. I'm going to recheck the spark tonight. The other things I spent money on needed to be done any way. One thing I'm considering is that the fuel pump is not putting out enough pressure. When you turn the rig on you can hear the pump so I know it's doing some thing. It's an 89 with 5.0 with only about 18,000 miles on it.

naw dudes he had spark.

on fords in the fuel system between the tank mounted pump and the HP frame mounted pump there is a black plastic fuel accumulator. they plug up. all my bronco buddies have had similar issues and most turned out to be a plugged accumulator. you can easily troubleshoot this with a fuel pressure gauge. they go on to the schraeder valve on the fuel rail and after you get one on there fire it up and see what happens to the pressure. it should always be 40 psi above vacuum.

after sitting for a while they will allow enough fuel to start and run for a little while but if you romp on it it will starve the engine. mine was plugged solid. when i removed it it took a hundred psi of air and would not unplug so i replaced it.

$.02

Being a FI, try the anursha switch. its a switch that turns off the fuel pump when the vehicle get hit in a reck or jarred hard.(just push the button and reset it)(usually located at the kick panel or rear quarter panel)

Well I have aboslutely wonderful spark now. On the mt. it was weak and orange, now it's bright white and stronge. I have seen that black doomahickie thing and wondered what the heck it was. I borrowed a friends fule pressure guage last night but it wouldn't work with my FI. I guess I will have to pick one up, seeing as how I have the Bronco and a 96 F350 with 5.8. Sounds like a good investment. Oh and my compression is 160 PSI.

another thing to check is the plug to your computer (ECU). sometimes it will work itself loose. there is a bolt like thing in the middle of all them wires make sure it is tight with a wrench. mine vibrates loose now and then.

so does it run better now?

Nope still wont start. I'm going to pick up a fuel pressure tester tonight. I'll check my ECU plug tonight as well.

Latest posts