• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help with JK gear install! *** gear pattern pics added***

wannabe

I've done a good bit of gear work before but haven't changed a whole ting a pinion to a new gear ratio. I'm working on a 08 jk rubicon going back with 5:38 G2 gears

Questions:

1. What is the recommended backlash on these gears? I'm gonna measure the favors ones but they have 113k on them so I'm sure they are a little looser..

2. I know some people have "set up" bearing and races.. I'd love to know how to make it to where I don't have to press on and press off every time I make a measurement and reshim.. Is this possible with the old parts?

3. Pattern check.. Haven't got there yet.. But hopefully soon.

Thanks guys!

Re: Help with JK gear install!

BL is supposed to be between .006 and .010 on those axles. BL is axle specific, not specific to gears.

I have always used a clam shell bearing puller so that I can reuse the stock bearings for set up bearings after I open them up with a dremel a few thousandths so that they fit on snug by hand.

Thanks man. I knew they were axle specific but didn't know if going to that size of a gear would change things. I have a MAC bearing splitter that has a pulled built into it. I'll deffinatley dremel the old one to fit. Will it be the same though? If I use the old bearing and race to get all the measurements set up and then swap to the new bearings, will that change anything? I would think so but..?

Thank you for the help!!

Yea it's been a long time since I've posted or really been on here. To make a long story short, about a year ago I started to get my life on track (wasn't bad off track, we're not talkin crack head or nothing), realized that if I were to have died right then and there I didn't know where I'd go. I've always believed in God, grew up in church, but always lived for myself. Finally I felt so convicted I knew I had to change. Got right with God and decided I was going to do my best to be a good Christian and live for God. This place is full of stuff that was distracting me from Him. Decided I was going to go no Facebook or forums (had plenty of time to surf the web but couldn't find time to pray or read the bible?) so I went total 90 year old man. I feel like I have a better balance in life now and can manage hanging around forums and still have time to read the good book an what not. Still struggle daily, but Im a lot better than I was a year ago.

wannabe said:
Yea it's been a long time since I've posted or really been on here. To make a long story short, about a year ago I started to get my life on track (wasn't bad off track, we're not talkin crack head or nothing), realized that if I were to have died right then and there I didn't know where I'd go. I've always believed in God, grew up in church, but always lived for myself. Finally I felt so convicted I knew I had to change. Got right with God and decided I was going to do my best to be a good Christian and live for God. This place is full of stuff that was distracting me from Him. Decided I was going to go no Facebook or forums (had plenty of time to surf the web but couldn't find time to pray or read the bible?) so I went total 90 year old man. I feel like I have a better balance in life now and can manage hanging around forums and still have time to read the good book an what not. Still struggle daily, but Im a lot better than I was a year ago.

That's a awesome. I am sure we could all learn from that post.

Ok. Paint looks pretty good to me. How does it look to y'all?

Backlash is set at .008

This jeep will see road use more than woods more than likely. I just need to know if this is good enough for that!

mix a few drops of gear oil in with your paint and it'll show the patterns a lot better.

is that the rear or front axle? or pics of both? hard to tell.

I will deffinatley do that! This stuff was thick and hard to make it work right.

This is all pictures of the rear axle.

That looks alot like what my gear pattern was doing on my last set. I have mine set up by a local guy that is probably one of the best and he said he had to mix something up to do my last ones. Probably what he ment

I was having coast side problems which is what it looks like you are having from pics. Mine wasn't wiping good but depth was perfect on drive side. He mixed something up and checked it after a few tries and it turned out perfect.

Had a guy well versed in bears take a quick peep at it and said good to go! Been trying to crush the crush sleeve since last night :(