• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

HF Tube Notcher, Will It Work?

Chrawler

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if any of you have used the Harbor Freight Tube Notcher. It says it will allow up to a 2" tube. The biggest I will be needing to notch is 1.75 x .120 DOM. I figures that for 50.00 it is either a great steal or a POS, considering the other Tube Notcher that I am looking at is $250.00 (JD2) Of course all of my instincs are telling me just go with the JD2. But just out of curiosity I was thinking this may be an inexpensive way to go for right now at least. Any input is appreciated. Here is a link to the HF Notcher: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42324

Thanks.

My friend Logan used a harbor freight notcher on my side bars, and it did fine. There isn't much to it.

The HF notcher is low quality. They last for a cage or two and break. The post spins and makes heat so you got to oil it, oil gets on the pipe right were you need to weld:rb: I have broken 3 of these in the last 2years. 2 have snapped at the threads that connect the post to the hole saw.Tricktools (van sant) has one with bearings for 215$ if your going to do more than 1 or 2 projects

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if any of you have used the Harbor Freight Tube Notcher. It says it will allow up to a 2" tube. The biggest I will be needing to notch is 1.75 x .120 DOM. I figures that for 50.00 it is either a great steal or a POS, considering the other Tube Notcher that I am looking at is $250.00 (JD2) Of course all of my instincs are telling me just go with the JD2. But just out of curiosity I was thinking this may be an inexpensive way to go for right now at least. Any input is appreciated. Here is a link to the HF Notcher: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42324

Thanks.

The HF notcher is low quality. They last for a cage or two and break. The post spins and makes heat so you got to oil it, oil gets on the pipe right were you need to weld:rb: I have broken 3 of these in the last 2years. 2 have snapped at the threads that connect the post to the hole saw.Tricktools (van sant) has one with bearings for 215$ if your going to do more than 1 or 2 projects

Thats kinda the crux of it right there. If its a tool that your going to get a lot of use out of then buy the best you can afford. If its only going to see limited use then the HF one is going to be fine. I bought the HF one and have had no issues with it.

How many cages you got on that thing Pokey?

AMJ built the cage. I have used my notcher to make a couple of sets of tube fenders a few nerf bars and several handrails. It works fine for what I do :awesomework: if I built such things for a living or even wanted to call myself a fabricator I would buy a better one :awesomework:

Put it this way...A grinder will work...but if you plan on having a tool you can count on working well when needed--spend the $ and get the best you can afford...You can always try the HF for your project, and if you get into it (ie:doing more and more projects), then you can decide whether a better quality one would be necessary for what you do...:awesomework:

x2, I have two dead ones and they will work for a few cages but the brass inserts wear and then the shaft wobbles around=crappy quality notches and broken holesaws. If you are planning on usong it for along time get the jd2.

Thanks alot guys. Since I really only need to do one cage right now and then really just have it for when I need it. Like maybe some new cage work at some point, or for a buddies rig, or a side new project, etc. But I would like to be able to use this one, even if it is just temporarily. As long as it will get the job done. Which it sounds like it will, until the wear and tear takes effect. Plus I would like to put some of the money I would save into getting the plasma cutter sooner :D I can always upgrade later, and every penny counts when Im trying to start from scratch and put together a nice little garage set up. So right now I'm thinking just HF probably.

What brand/model drill have you guys used for this? Or maybe drill press?

I have the HF one and have notched a bunch with it... It works fine, but it's not a tool you would buy for a fab shop...

What I've noticed is, if you use good hole saws and cutting oil it will make all the difference in the world... I also use a cordless 18v Dewalt with the lowest speed and set it so it'll click when it binds instead of ripping your arm off...

Thanks for the advice. I would really prefer to keep my arm.

What's the biggest tube and wall thickness you have done with this? Just to get an idea of its capacity?

I dont care what kind of notcher you use, they all suck.

Just use a torch or chopsaw.

I can notch and finnish fit it with a chopsaw before you can set up the HS notcher.

Thanks for the advice. I would really prefer to keep my arm.

What's the biggest tube and wall thickness you have done with this? Just to get an idea of its capacity?

Me, up to .250 wall...

I can notch and finnish fit it with a chopsaw before you can set up the HS notcher.

There are some things I'll chopsaw because it's quick... But, I've had no problems using the notcher for a lot of stuff...

Hold on......you finish fit with a chopsaw? A Finnish fit...... like a technique developed in Finland:haha:

This actually brings me to my next question. I was going to start a new thread for it since it is a new topic, and i still can if you guys would prefer. But I was also looking at the HF chop saw. Im sure the answers will be somewhat similar as they have been for the HF tube notcher. But I thought I would ask anyways. Here is the model I was thinking: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=96971 It looks like it can get the job done. But once again I'm sure its a matter of how much I will be using it and just a matter of time before it blows. Any advice is welcome.

what I preferto do is search craigs list for good quality USED TOOLS.

When that HF saw burns up or needs brushes its junk, throw it away, not worth fixin.

Cheap chop saws will bog down and lose some rpms aswell and eat dicsc faster and cut horribly slow.

I would take a used makita or milwaukie or dewalt anyday over a new HF powertool.

HF POWER TOOLS ARE GARBAGE. I dont mind some of their hand tools.
But if it has an EDGE or a MOTOR dont buy it at HF.