• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hints on mounting a reciver hitch

Eric

1986 4runner with step bumper, going to a reciver hitch.

So I bent the step bumper pulling someone out of the mud so I am going to a reciever style bumper for the summer untill I can afford a marlin rear bumper(darn school it gets in the way)

The question is are there tricks to make it easier to do? My 4runner has never had a reciver mounted to it.

Are there tricks to get all the bolts in there?
What size bolts should I use?

I have what is left of my original bumper for parts, and this is just temporary so please keep it to bolt on.

Thanks

are you building a reciever hitch or you bought one and you need to just bolt it on?

Bolt on for now I have the hitch, may have to build something(piece of pipe) to qualify as a bumper untill I can afford the marlin one, so this is to get me through the summer so that I can tow my boat around

well, i had to remove my rear bed bolts to get the bumper bolts off, and it was a bit of a hassle getting the whole thing up in place, since the roll pan is kinda sorta right there in your way.

well I know I can take the old bumper off, thats easy.

THe problem comes when I looked at snaking the nut for the third bolt into the frame.

no helpfull hints?

do I drill a hole through the frame to mount the front bolt? or do I fight it and snake it in the frame?

i thinkthe 3rd bolt your talking about is just a alignment pin. just tighten it onto the very front hole in the hitch and it fits loose in the rectangular holes in the frame

Just weld the fawker on Eric. :fawkdancesmiley:

:fawkdancesmiley: back at you

so the best advice that makes sense is to weld the sucker on there?

I would rather bolt it on.

dkbstoy-its a bolt hole not a pin, but thanks

Fordfrk-I dont have the issue you are talking about, but thanks anyway

long bolt all the way through with a pipe sleve and the biggest thickest washers you can get use all 1/2" hardware

long bolt all the way through with a pipe sleve and the biggest thickest washers you can get use all 1/2" hardware

Thanks, thats what I was looking for but I think I am just going to get someone to help me build one, or it may be I am helping him build it.

why not just have a new bumper made and put tow points on the new bumper? Or even purchase the receiver toob and have it mounted into the new bumper?

I don't know nuttin bout no yotas but as far as the bolt deep in the frame go's.......take a length of 1/8" tig rod and weld it to the nut...then use the tig rod to guide it deep into the frame.If youre weld is strong and the threads on the bolt are bur free,the rod will keep it from spinning.once install is done, cut the excess rod just inside the frame and leave it.....it'll be there for removal.

why not just have a new bumper made and put tow points on the new bumper? Or even purchase the receiver toob and have it mounted into the new bumper?

well I would have just purchased one, but I am a student, and I dont work during the school year, so funding in very limited. But I am looking in to making a simple one that will get me by untill I can make or build or modify the one that I really want.

I don't know nuttin bout no yotas but as far as the bolt deep in the frame go's.......take a length of 1/8" tig rod and weld it to the nut...then use the tig rod to guide it deep into the frame.If youre weld is strong and the threads on the bolt are bur free,the rod will keep it from spinning.once install is done, cut the excess rod just inside the frame and leave it.....it'll be there for removal.

I was thinking about something like this, I was just hoping that there was a better way to do it.

Thanks any way

eric, people are going to be less likely to offer their advice when you ask for it, if you shoot down all of their ideas

eric, people are going to be less likely to offer their advice when you ask for it, if you shoot down all of their ideas

I am sorry if I am doing this, it is not my intention. I just feel that I have to give a response of some sort to people instead of silence. And like I said I am working on geting someone to help me with it. And still thanks for your input.

i've been installing hitches for the last ten years & there isn't a scenario you can dream up that i havn't figured out, pretty much if i tell you a solution then thats how it is