• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired Hot Springs Bound

DavidsCJ7

Fixin to head to Hot Springs. booyang

HotSpringsMC2-26-10002.jpg

Let me preface this by saying, I love Superlift ORP. I have been there countless times over the years in jeeps and buggies. Based on the experience I have with the park, I thought it would be a great place to ride dirtbikes. In reality, I found out, I have never paid attention to the condition of the access roads. They are not nearly as smooth as I thought.

We (me and Terry) arrive in HS Friday afternoon just before dark. We immediately set up the camper, gathered fire wood, and pulled out the whiskey and beer. We were the only ones in the campground. It was a great night for camping at around 40 degrees.

We were up early Saturday, eager to get the day started. We inspected the bikes and were off!

HotSpringsMC2-26-10003.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10005.jpg

The first trail we got on was a really nice but narrow trail. Terry was having a little bit of a hard time, for several reasons. 1st, He hasn't been on a bike in several years. 2nd, He was on my YZ450, which he has never ridden. 3rd, the bike really isn't geared for tight trail running.

HotSpringsMC2-26-10006.jpg

About half way down this trail I decided we would bail on this trail and let Terry get used to the bike. I decided to go on a very scenic and easy riding (yeah right) trail called Rubicon Ridge. Rubicon Ridge runs along the outer limits of the park. It is a trail I consider one of the most enjoyable and scenic in the park. Its actually an access road to a lot of the really tough 4x4 trails in the park but often times served us well as a early morning "warm up" trail or a late evening "end of day" trail.
(Keep in mind, my opinion of this trail is all based on past experience, in a highly modified jeep or buggy. Strapped in with a 5 point harness, and a roll cage to keep me safe.)

The start of the trail.
HotSpringsMC2-26-10008.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10009.jpg

Just as the trail begins, we encounter our first problem. A really steep down hill section, over a hundred yards long. It is covered in loose, softball size rocks. We start to make our way down, having to keep one foot on the ground. It is so steep and loose, the back brake was not enough to stop the bike. Having to work the front brake was the only way to keep the bike from "running away". At times, even that was not enough and you would begin a two wheel slide.

HotSpringsMC2-26-10010.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10011.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10012.jpg

After cresting the hill in the pictures above it got really steep, Terry actually shut off his bike and left it in first gear. That way he steady himself with both legs if necessary. I was not smart enough to do that.

HotSpringsMC2-26-10013.jpg

We finally made it to the bottom.

Looking back up. Pictures do not do it justice.
HotSpringsMC2-26-10014.jpg

After that the trail became pretty good (relatively speaking) and we started having some fun.

HotSpringsMC2-26-10015.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10016.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10017.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10018.jpg

For some reason, Terry thought it was a good idea if he wore soft soled shoes to ride in. It was not! The kick starter on the YZ just about had him crippled, so we switched bikes.

HotSpringsMC2-26-10020.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10021.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10023.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10024.jpg

When we made it through Rubicon Ridge we were completely exhausted. We did a couple of hours of easier riding.

HotSpringsMC2-26-10025.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10026.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10027.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10028.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10029.jpg

HotSpringsMC2-26-10030.jpg

We headed back for camp to relax for a bit. While eating lunch I noticed the rear tire on the DRZ looked low. Sure enough, It was going flat. I didn't have a tube with me we headed into town to get it fixed. Lanny's motorcycle shop made quick work of it and we were back at the park, ready to ride, in a little over an hour.
I got lazy and quit taking pictures. We rode for the next couple of hours on some very challenging, but fun, trails. Towards the end of the day, I was exhausted and a little dehydrated. We were going up a short rocky hill and my front end washed out. When I hit the ground, both legs cramped and I was unable to get up. Terry thought I was hurt and started hustling to lend a hand. He finally realized I was OK. I managed to get the bike picked up and continue. I went about two hundred yards and had to stop. I just couldn't go anymore. I pulled off my helmet and just laid there. Terry Had his own issues trying to get up the hill. He finally made it. He rounded the corner and found this:

HotSpringsMC2-26-10033.jpg

I think he was also ready for a break. We rested for about ten minutes before we decided to head back to camp. When we were getting our gear back on, these two young guys came riding up.

HotSpringsMC2-26-10034.jpg

We talked to them for a few minutes, discussing the trails the others had run. We had all run some of the same trails during the day but their bikes and clothes were clean, fresh, and not a scratch anywhere. Our bikes were covered in dust, mud, and battle scars. Either they lied about what they rode or we are a couple of old, out of shape, fat guys, with limited skills. (I think its the latter)

They decided they wanted to ride back to camp with us so we took off. The road back to camp was supposed to be mostly gravel road but I made a wrong turn. We wound up on a really long, twisty, and hilly trail with the occasional rocky section thrown in. I was leading and had the young guys riding behind me. I didn't want to show them my fatigue, or my poor riding skills. I kept the throttle twisted and the bike between the trees all the way out. It was probably the best riding I had done all day. We made it back to camp and decided to quit on a high note. We had no broken bones and the both bikes still ran. We finished the night off with a big fire, hamburgers on the grill, and more whiskey and beer. I guess it was a successful trip.

Nice! I am jealous. #1 you got to ride and #2 I want that size pop up camper :flipoff1:

That terrain looks like it would make for a long day for a scrawy **** like me.

Rocks= feet on the pegs, lots of body control and a good constant speed...

Slow pace and 2 wheels is very dangerous.... just take ALOT more seat time and experience and things you thought were sill you'll ride over and not think twice....
Good write up, look forward to riding with you... :drinkers:

what all do they allow to ride at this park such as 4 wheelers, side x sides, dune buggys, etc....looks like they allow the booyang anyways ;D

ive wanted to get a group of my buddies together and go out there for a while but could never find anybody that had been to fill me in on the details

ridenrace6 said:
what all do they allow to ride at this park such as 4 wheelers, side x sides, dune buggys, etc....looks like they allow the booyang anyways ;D

ive wanted to get a group of my buddies together and go out there for a while but could never find anybody that had been to fill me in on the details

You can ride anything out there. Check out there site. www.orvpark.com

I took my side by side HS ORP several years ago in the heat of the summer, 100+, still a great time. Some if the trails are VERY challenging, VERY large boulders in certain areas. Great place to ride.

Latest posts