• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How do I start riding?

wentz912

Soo, I went through the WHOLE mountain biking thread and was almost literally drooling over the pictures. BUT, I have to ask, other than the typical board on blocks jumps and rides around town and the local park on a cheap-o walmart small wheel, I haven't done much pedal type riding. So, how do I get started in the sport? I *think* that I've got some great terrain right here on the property but I don't really know enough about the sport...

hhrrmmmm, well, I learned to ride at St. Ed's park. I had some, ah, "instruction" from some guy :rolleyes: that can be summarized as, "When in doubt, pedal out." :awesomework:

Seriously, I started on an old, heavy, rigid Trek (no suspension), and I humped that thing around the St. Ed's park as often as I could. If you're looking to buy a bike, I recommend a hard tail (suspension in the front, not in the rear), and you can get something decent for $500, or so (varies widely).

Some folks like going on group rides, in which case check out the BBTC. Other folks avoid group rides like the plague, in which case, DON'T check out BBTC. Pedal, pedal, pedal; practice, practice, practice :cheer: Don't try any *sweet* jumps on your first ride...

.....hmmm, that's all I've got for now, anyone else...?:eeek:

Ride on!! :cheer: :cheer: :D

Agreed on the Hardtail. I wish i had gotten one before my Full suspension sometimes.... but i have both now.:redneck:

I think the question is, which way do you want to progress? Do you want Whistler style Downhill, Mean Streets Riding, Dirt Jumping? Long Single trek Adventures. ?!?!?

That should narrow your search for a bike a little, but you can still do all/MOST of those on a good versatile Hardtail. :awesomework:

If you ever wanna ride and try out some bikes I have a DH and a DJ bike to ride and see/feel the difference :awesomework:

You don't need too, but can get a sweet hardtail off craigslist for $400-500 and I mean "sweet". There is no need to bone up 2 grand for a new bike (yet- hah!) .

Aside from that, join one of our rides or some wherever you ride. If you have property and some terrain that would work for riding, invite some folks out to your place and start developing a trail. Much of the work is just going out there and doing it, but trail building can be interrupted by water management issues. Too many variables to list. Who cares anyways.

With this in mind, get out and pedal around your property. It might be a good idea to pick up a helmet, maybe some gloves. Once summer comes, there are oodles of fun trails in the mountains, but stick to the St. Ed's right now.

BBTC is now called the evergreen mountain bike alliance. http://evergreenmtb.org/home/index.php GREAT group!

Well, the hard bit about ever riding with you guys is that I live three hours south. Just a couple exits down from the REAL exit 37. And the other thing is, what size of bike should I look for? I'm 6'4" but only weigh about 160. I made a half ass attempt to enter the sport a couple years back but never ended up even buying a bike. The idea of a single speed, hardtail 24" wheeled bike really intrigued me though...

Do you mean 29"? 29" might be good for yah, but skip the single speed unless you got quads of a linebacker. They are cool, but not for a sole bike. :)

check out www.ridemonkey.com . There are tons of sweet riding spots on the south end. Check out South Seatac (google it), tapeworm in Renton, All up and down hwy 410, Capitol forest in Olympia, etc. etc.

I duno about a 24" wheeled bike for you.... I would search for a Large (read 18-20" frame) bike with 26" wheels OR I have been looking at rigid 29er's for long treks. :awesomework: those are a bit more spendy though...

Sounds like you might be looking for a Dirt Jumping bike? I should really have you look at mine then, I have a "long" framed Specialized P1.:awesomework:

The recommendation for Ridemonkey.com is a good one, there's a section on the pacific northwest, and you can find some local monkeys to show you around. Boxer's suggestion for Tapeworm in Renton is good, but maybe get someone to show you around first....

Riding Rocks! :cheer:

:cool:

I think he means all the way down south...like towards Portland.

I just broke out my bike today and went riding at lunch and am hoping to do some more of it this year. In terrible shape though and my bike was not liking my weight LOL

I think he means all the way down south...like towards Portland.

I just broke out my bike today and went riding at lunch and am hoping to do some more of it this year. In terrible shape though and my bike was not liking my weight LOL

Yeah, I thought that's what he meant by Exit 37....in which case, Tapeworm isn't worth the drive!! :haha: Not even St. Ed's is worth THAT drive! :booo:

Ridemonkey, find some locals, there's tons around there, I just don't know it!
So short of anything useful to say, just get as much seat time as you can, definitely buy a helmet (no maybe's about it! :awesomework:) and Pedal! Pedal! Pedal! :D Oh, and send pics, ASAP! :kissmyass: keep us updated! :cool:

There is some bad arse stuff down by St. Helens and closer to you at Mt. Hood and the Dalles.

There is a fun trail, although steep at first, starting at the Timberline lodge. It drops down through some loose pumice-based soil. Eventually you drop into more forest like terrain and you'r wandering through six foot wide trees. From there, you eventually end up at Government Camp, and then continue down on the other side of the road to Zig Zag.

That's the furthest I rode it, but I think it continues down to Portland if you are creative!

That'd be one hell of a ride! I'm going to see what I can come up with here on the 13 acres that the homestead is on. it's basically three different hills seperated by two ravines on my property so I should be able to figure something out...