• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How far is far enough?

waggener1

So, I'm approaching the end of my build and the excitement of buggy completion is attempting to fog any clear thoughts I might have as I near the end. I've got it in my mind that my first engine start-up along with all wiring will take place after sandblasting, powder coat and reassembly. All brake and steering plumbing will be completed by the end of the year. I'm on the fence about completing the wiring, filling all fluids and starting (possibly driving) prior to tear down. For those of you that have been in this situation, what are your thoughts? What's the best approach from your experience?

Finish it and wheel it unpainted. How bad would it hurt your feelings to cut , grind, or replace a bar that didn't work out right after you paid to have it painted. I will never ever ever pay for powder coat. Hell I have gotten to the point I think paint is useless

I've always waited to paint. Seems like there is always something that needs to be changed after a few test runs.

Only downside to wheeling it without paint is, like me, you won't feel like tearing it back down. I probably will some day but for now, I'd rather go wheelin.

waggener1 said:
That's my thought... exactly.
If you wheel it hard it will be so beat up in a year it wont matter. Spray paint it for now and wheel it. If you want in the future you can always go back and powder coat it

I was in your situation a few months ago...had to make the decision to plumb and wire before or after paint. even through meticulous planning (think, CAD drawings, CNC water jet parts, spread sheets and punchlists that only an engineer would make), I still had to add stuff, cut stuff, rework etc. Without a doubt, I am glad I did not go through the expense of a decent paint job just to cut and weld on. Took it out for its first trip over thanksgiving. will be doing a little more cutting/welding before the next trip after Christmas. Plan to strip it down in June when it starts to get too hot in the south to do any wheelin. Not sure I would go through the trouble of a half-way strip down before plumb.wiring just to hit it with some Krylon, unless for some reason you don't plan to sand blast before painting....but then you are going to have a crappy paint job anyway so get to shakin those cans.

I'm also in favor of the spray paint, but I recommend you step up to Rustoleum last couple cans of krylon I have bought have been disappointing. I personally wouldnt consider powdercoat on anything I intend to wheel. It would just hurt too bad to chip up that fresh powdercoat, knowing I could have spent that money on some other "upgrade" parts.

What if you need to move something but you don't cause you don't want to mess up your paint/powder? Then your sacrificing performance for looks... and that's not cool man.

BUG-E J said:
Finish it and wheel it unpainted. How bad would it hurt your feelings to cut , grind, or replace a bar that didn't work out right after you paid to have it painted. I will never ever ever pay for powder coat. Hell I have gotten to the point I think paint is useless

I didn't have to grind powder off my chassis until 6 years later when I decided to freshen it up. Just saying.