• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How many hrs to replace an IFS toy front CV shaft?

Tankota

Got one with a boot ripped and the wifey wants it fixed so she has no probs using 4x if needed. I have a spare to put into it. Not sure if I should rip into it tonight...got any ideas on how long it takes to replace one CV shaft on a '90 runner?

An hour. After you get used to it 15 minutes to a half hour. Do you have an FSM? I can e-mail you a PDF of the appropriate pages out of the manual if you need it.

Do you have lock hubs or an ADD axle? Most 90 runners had the ADD with the chain drive transfer case.

Sounds pretty easy. Probably hammer it out tonight in the garage.
It has locking hubs. I removed the drive flanges last year cause of the ripped cv boot.

I don't have an FSM...a haynes or something or another. Probably haynes cause that is the crappy one:rolleyes:

Thanks for the time estimates...So used to solid axle stuff that I never even think of working on the road runner/daily driver IFS rig.

If you need the pages from the FSM let me know. Turning the steering wheel almost all the way one way helps give more room to get it out after unbolting it from the stub axle. Which way will differ as to which side you are working on. After I bent my IFS I had to unbolt the lower ball joint to get enough room to get them out.