• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

HOW-TO: build your own links

PHILLBILLY1

I am a complete newb in this rc crawler world, but I refuse to buy something already made, when I can make it myself. So........I attempted making lower bent links. Here you go. (click to enlarge the picture)

I'll start with the materials list needed:

• 3/16 .035 wall aluminum tubing (I got 4@ 1foot long each)
  • 6-32 Tap (I bought 3) + Tap handle
  • 6-32 set screws @ 1-1/8" long (I bought 20)
  • brake tubing bender(If you choose to have bent links)
  • Plastic rod ends (however many you need)
  • Hacksaw or tube cutter

GET SARTED:

This first picture show everything laid out

Next I measured and cut the tubing to length. I used a hacksaw and filed the end smooth.
After that, I ran the tap all the way to the shoulder of the tap, on both ends of the new link.
Then, I ran the tap into the ends of the plastic rod ends, cause they are too small in original form.
Now I installed the set screws into the link. I chose set srews over all thread, cause it comes with one end ready to accept an allen wrench, and it cuts down on production time by not having to cut and clean up one more thing. That helped big time with setting it into the link.
When they bottom out, they leave about 1/4-5/16" thread sticking out.
Then install the rod ends on them.
You can stop at this step and have a finished straight link, or you can continue to the bending portion.
Next I stuck the new links into the bender and to the desired bend.

Last is the finished product. As you can see I not only made bent links, but I made them longer, as I am stretching out the wheelbase.

Last edited:
Those will work nicely for the 1.9 stuff--nice work... :awesomework:

For a 2.2 rig you will need bigger rod ends that use 8/32

Those will work nicely for the 1.9 stuff--nice work... :awesomework:

For a 2.2 rig you will need bigger rod ends that use 8/32

Thanks:beer: I am going to be building a chassis soon as well. Nothing fancy, but I need to relocate my shocks up and out.

Latest posts