• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How to DIY Exhaust Baffle?

mikemounlio

I will be taking the buggy out this weekend. I just finished it up but the new mufflers will not be in on time. I want to make a baffle for the exhaust simply to be nice to others wheeling with me. It only needs to be a temp fix. If you have any ideas on a quick and cheap baffle for 2.5" pip it would really help me out.

I've wheeled with that buggy 50 times. Always sounded fine to me. where is the exhaust it had? Can you reuse for the time being?

The exhaust was fine. I am just doing a few things to it to make it my own. I have a set of mufflers on order that will make it sound the way i like but in the mean time i want something to keep others happy. When i took the buggy apart the exhaust was not going to come apart so i had to cut part of it off. I want to take it out this weekend to test it out and make sure its doing good before i really start wheeling it. I have an old muffler from a car im going to cut up and rig something up.

All i have done to the buggy is paint, cam, and explorer heads. I have just fixed all the little issues. Still have some small things to do but its still the same buggy as before.

After reading around i found a cool idea. I will get some expanded metal tonight. I am going to bend into cylinder and fill it with steel wool. I will simply slide it into the end of the straight pipe and tack in place. It will last more then long enough to test the buggy out and make it quite enough as to not upset others. Again this is just a temp fix as i am waiting on mufflers to finish the exhaust. I love the sound of the straight pipes for about a minute. Anything over a minute and it just sucks. Ill let you guys know how well it works in case anyone else ever needs a quick fix like this.

I made these out of a 4" piece of exhaust tubing and 10g plate. They're gonna be loud as hell but will take the shitty sound out of open headers.

Attachments

• IMG_20130913_210952.jpg
    IMG_20130913_210952.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20130913_222954.jpg
    IMG_20130913_222954.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 91
AdamF said:
I made these out of a 4" piece of exhaust tubing and 10g plate. They're gonna be loud as hell but will take the shitty sound out of open headers.

My buggy has this in the headers an it sounds great I like em!!

I ran super traps on My open headers. They weld right to the collector. About four inches long. Change discs and make them sound any way you want.

BTW, what kind of shitty sound of you hear from open header? that's about the sweeeeeetest sound I know.

I ended up just getting some cheap autozone cherry bombs. They sound decent. It had cherry bombs on it but they were to quite for me. I replaced the cam so i kinda want to hear my hard work. Anyway its not bad for now. Im gonna focus on a few other small tings for now. I will weld in the good mufflers once then come in and i have free time.

halcat said:
BTW, what kind of shitty sound of you hear from open header? that's about the sweeeeeetest sound I know.
Opens sound good when the gas pedal is all the way down, Unless the motor has 500+ HP they sound like a junk ass derby car when you're just cruising around or crawling

I was really happy with the way my straight pipes sounded. I know that others dont care for loud exhaust so i was being kind to them. If it was just me i would have ran the straight pipes.