• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How to ID Dana 44s

Mark m.

I just picked up a toyota 4x4 that has Dana 44s F&R in it. I'm wondering how I can tell what 44s they are? Witch one's are good if any are?

Actually it was never a Trooper rear axle. It may have been a Rodeo or Passport axle beginning in '93 because those vehicles were built in the U.S. The Troopers after mid-87 all had Isuzu 12-bolts, which are comparable, but perhaps a bit stronger than the Dana 44s.

Actually it was never a Trooper rear axle. It may have been a Rodeo or Passport axle beginning in '93 because those vehicles were built in the U.S. The Troopers after mid-87 all had Isuzu 12-bolts, which are comparable, but perhaps a bit stronger than the Dana 44s.

Oops! I knew it was one of those, wasn't quite sure which one though, thanks for correcting me.:awesomework:

So I'll edit my guess to possibly a Rodeo rear axle.

Of course, these guesses are assuming that they are not fullsize axles.

Oops! I knew it was one of those, wasn't quite sure which one though, thanks for correcting me.:awesomework:

So I'll edit my guess to possibly a Rodeo rear axle.

Of course, these guesses are assuming that they are not fullsize axles.

The Isuzu/Honda Dana 44s are all disk brake. The have a separate small drum for the emergency.

Welcome to the club Mark. :awesomework:

The broken u-joint club. :haha:

Post a pic it's easy to tell what they are. If the front is drivers side and narrow (60") it's probably 80-92 grand wagoneer.

The earlier Wagoneers and Chevy 44's are passenger side and wider.

Welcome to the club Mark. :awesomework:

The broken u-joint club. :haha:

Post a pic it's easy to tell what they are. If the front is drivers side and narrow (60") it's probably 80-92 grand wagoneer.

The earlier Wagoneers and Chevy 44's are passenger side and wider.
This one is pass drop and it looks no wider than a toy front.
I figure its stronger than a stock toy front but not as strong as 30 splines.

I think he means Longfields 30 splines which are about equivalent to stock dana 60.

Stock toy vs. stock 44 I am curious about though, I imagine Toyota wins.

If it is toy width and passenger side then mabey Cj or Wagoneer. Waggys were passenger side until 79 and there was both wide trac and narrow trac modelsduring the 70's. I'm speaking from memory here and my memory is not so good.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_3.htm

Last edited:
whats up with the spring perch?

Is it a factory cast in spring over perch (chevy)?

Or is it a welded/goobered on spring over pad with a spring under pad still on the axle (waggy/scout)?

If it is the waggy/scout kind, then look at the axle tubing. Scouts had a little tube compared to the waggy tube.