• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hydraulic steering just quit

30th6

I was at hpo today parked my buggy got back in 10 min later to have no steering.
I eventually got it to turn while the engine was revving pretty high and rolling at the same time.
I checked the fluid it's clean and luke warm, the pump would squeal when it did turn.
The whole setup minus the lines came off of my jeep and worked great the 4 years I had it. It's the second ride on the new buggy. I used psc cut to fit lines. Other than that it's the exact same setup as my jeep.
It came on the jeep so I don't know what any of the components are, but I know the pump was built for hydraulic steering.
Can the pump just go bad all at once? I feel like there maybe a restriction or something. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We had that happen. The shaft inside the pump sheared off. One sec fine next gone. From the outside there were no signs of dammage so it was all internal.

I think it's weird it will still turn a little if you rev the engine and if your moving, almost like sheared key way but you can rev it and it will pump a little.

I'll un hook the lines and check for pressure monday

I would say it is the pump. They can go bad like that especially if it is a high performance pump. I've had a couple go and that was my experience. One failure was my fault and the other was just time for a rebuild. Sucks with full hydro cause unless the motor is spinning 2g's or more you have no steering at all and even then it sucks. If the pump is a PSC pump, give them a call and they can rebuild it for about $75 plus the ride. Mine was gone a little over a week last time I sent one in.

I keep a spare psc pump and can for my system in the toolbox of my trailer when on long trips. Even keep a pulley puller/installer to swap at camp.

Ok thanks guys I'll call them monday. I don't know the brand of pump but maybe they can just rebuild what I have.
Will the orbital being above the reservoir have anything to do with it?

When my pump went bad I contacted psc and gave them the part# off pump and they said wasn't there's and told me if it wasn't theirs it was junk and pretty much hung up on me. Good luck if it's not a psc pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zjman said:
When my pump went bad I contacted psc and gave them the part# off pump and they said wasn't there's and told me if it wasn't theirs it was junk and pretty much hung up on me. Good luck if it's not a psc pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That doesnt surprise me at all. They can be pretty damn arrogant. Unfortunately, they are the best one stop shop for what we do. There are better alternatives but usually more expensive in my experience. I havnt had any issues other than them not being very easy to talk to at the offroad expo. I had some questions about my setup and they acted like they didnt have time for me or I didnt know what I was talking about.

30th6 said:
Ok thanks guys I'll call them monday. I don't know the brand of pump but maybe they can just rebuild what I have.

The orbital being above the res wont make a difference. Just make sure you go through the proper bleed procedure.

A stock pump will work but the high performance pumps flow better and at a higher psi.

30th6 said:

Check into AGR/Steerco. They seem to be the experts when it comes to high quality steering. Nearly the same price as PSC/TG stuff. Website kinda sucks, call 'em.

So I checked the pump it's working to what I would think would be sufficient. It blew fluid all over my shop through a hose I had in a bucket.
I checked all the lines. The return "low pressure" had a lot of restriction. I think this may be my problem. What do y'all think?

It can blow fluid all over and not build pressure. A gauge is the only real way to check. I bet it is a bad pump.

extremetownie said:
It can blow fluid all over and not build pressure. A gauge is the only real way to check. I bet it is a bad pump.

x2

get you a T and a gauge on the pressure line, makes trouble shooting a much easier.

Yep, zero pressure at idle. Builds over 100 lbs of pressure if you rev it. I ordered a new pump thanks guys

30th6 said:
Yep, zero pressure at idle. Builds over 100 lbs of pressure if you rev it. I ordered a new pump thanks guys

I assume you know since you are troubleshooting your own buggy, but just for reference or anyone else searching,

It won't necessarily make pressure at idle (or any time you are not turning), as it is just flowing oil through the valve with no resistance. You have to turn to full lock to hit the bypass pressure and see how much your pump puts out.

Damn. I didn't know that. This is how I tested it, it dead ends into a gauge. Should I retest it with everything hooked back up?

6a0385c9f3d14d9fb92504e9e14998f6.jpg

Best I can tell from the pic, you deadheaded the output to a gage? Not T'd into the line.

In that case, yeah that's all the pump will do! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is 100 psi max on the gauge? Was it maxed out when revved up? Reason I ask because I think power steering pumps operate around 1,200 psi or more.

Yes power steering can be 1600 plus depending on bypass spring and yes when you deadhead it to a line like that it should shoot straight to full pressure and then start by passing. If you don't want to use a psc pump get a true AC delco pump not some rebuild junk for parts store. Psc pump is just a new AC delco pump with the orifice drilled out for a little more flow.

Ok thanks guys I ordered a psc pump yesterday, they told me I should use a remote res because I won't have enough fluid with the factory one, I've used the factory one for about 4 years with no problems. Any down side to using the factory res?

30th6 said:
Ok thanks guys I ordered a psc pump yesterday, they told me I should use a remote res because I won't have enough fluid with the factory one, I've used the factory one for about 4 years with no problems. Any down side to using the factory res?

If you have a double ended ram, the factory res should be fine if you have a good cooler (actually it should be better, as the fluid will help cool the pump, and you don't have to worry about suction issues with a submerged pump)

You could always add a hose extension to the neck to add some capacity, or weld a neck extension on.