• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hydro steering issue

boxboy

can I be your friend...
I have an issue which I think is an over heating issue... I have a double ended ram, a PSC pump, PSC reservoir, and a cooler. The setup works really great like 2 fingers steering but after a time it just gets really hard to turn all of a sedan. I turn off the rig and wait (I assume it cools off) and then it starts working again. I feel the reservoir pump and orbital they are all very hot but the cooler is much cooler then the other parts? thoughts? Q's?

Do I just need a bigger cooler or maybe plumbed wrong some how? I do have it plumped exactly as the diagram from the PCS web site.

so if it is a loose belt, I have one belt tensioner in the system so shorter belt or can you add more belt tensioners? or more rap on the pulley?

pulley is 6"

there is a filter in the rez but it is clean and brand new fluid in a brand new system.

Is the fluid line entering the cooler hot, then much cooler on the outlet side? Might be a clog or restriction in the cooler?

so if it is a loose belt, I have one belt tensioner in the system so shorter belt or can you add more belt tensioners? or more rap on the pulley?

With a serpentine I think all you could do is route it so it has more wrap on the pulley...... Before going through all of that have someone look at the pulley while it's acting up. Should be able to see the pulley start to spin slower or momentarily stop with the engine running.
This is just a shot in the dark. What makes me think this could be your problem is that it happens "all of a sedan".:haha::flipoff:

I think it is a loose belt I think it is slipping on the harmonic balancer pulley... I am still looking it to it though...

If it was a clog would be more all the time issue?

I think it is a loose belt I think it is slipping on the harmonic balancer pulley... I am still looking it to it though...

If it was a clog would be more all the time issue?

A clog or I poorly assembled line could be inconsistent also. More likely though to act up with engine RPM I think.... Don't rule out anything yet.

no nothing is off the table but I do see the tensioner is at the end of its throw although the belt seems tight when it get up to temp I think it may be a little more loose as the tensioner isn't able to take up the extra belt length... This was not how it was when I put it on but I think I will try to find a little short belt and try again.

Hey Scott how far is the resi from the pump Howe says
It should have no more than a 12" Supley hose to pump
And what type of cooler do u run ?

The steering pulley is about 2/3 but the harm is like 1/3 or so but less then half... i have been thinking for a while I would need to add an idler pulley... I have the same setup as Randy from bomber has except the idler between the harm and the steering pulleys.

well I ordered a bracket and idler pulley... while I wait I found a smaller belt that fits. I had serp belt 67.8" and I was able to find A 67.5 will test this weekend and see if that helps.