• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I don't get it....

kingkrawler

I thought that all of the 4x4 22R/RE/RET trucks pretty much had the same transmission, the W56. And from what I read on some other sites through google there wasn't a difference, but I just spoke to a guy who has been working on Toyotas for over a decade and he said the the shifter and some other things here and there were different between carbed, FI, and turbo trucks.

Is that true? Does that mean that mean that I need to find a transmission from a 22RE 4x4 for it to work since I am looking for a replacement? Mine is dieing quickly. :mad:

Last edited:
I thought that all of the 4x4 22R/RE/RET trucks pretty much had the same transmission, the W56. And from what I read on some other sites through google there wasn't a difference, but I just spoke to a guy who has been working on Toyotas for over a decade and he said the the shifter and some other things here and there were different between carbed, FI, and turbo trucks.

Is that true? Does that mean that mean that I need to find a transmission from a 22RE 4x4 for it to work since I am looking for a replacement? My is dieing quickly. :mad:

no it will work but you might have to cut the floor out for the shifters:redneck:

All the 4 cyl. trans will bolt up but shifters are in different locations.

W56 top shift t-case. t-case shifter in t-case. This was in all EFI trucks up to 1988 except turbos.

G52 forward shift all carb. trucks. t-case shifter in trans.

Turbo trans forward shift. t-case shifter in trans.

89 and up trucks are forward shift.

If you need a trans I have some of each.

W56 top shift t-case. t-case shifter in t-case. This was in all EFI trucks up to 1988 except turbos.

yea what he said:;

I need a transmission, but everyone wants $350 or more! Plus, most of the ones on craigslist are for 4x2 trucks. I know I can get a transmission for less than that, I've seen them, but I really don't have $300 to be spending right now and at the same time I will need my truck for the winter. I ride a motorcycle for transportation and I don't see how that's going to work during this next season. So far it's been getting pretty cold!

Bellhousings are different between turbo and non-turbo too.

Wow...for some reason I was always under the impression a R151F would bolt straight up to a 22RE...learn sumthin new every day :D

Yes, it will, with the correct bellhousing. :awesomework: I just so happen to have one sitting in my garage. :fawkdancesmiley:

Wow...for some reason I was always under the impression a R151F would bolt straight up to a 22RE...learn sumthin new every day :D

Its does bolt right up to a 22RE Thats all the turbo engine is. You can bolt a V6 trans to a turbo bell housing also. A turbo trans is basiclly a V6 trans.

You can't bolt a W56 or G52 to a turbo bell housing.

Bellhousing bolt patterns by MarlinCrawler
84' to 03' Toy 5 speed trannies use two bellhousing to transmission bolt patterns.
small 9 bolt pattern
84-88' G52,54 carb 22R
89-95' G58 EFI 22R
85-88' W56 early EFI 22R
89-95' W56 late EFI 22R
96-03' W59 EFI 2.7

large 9 bolt pattern
86-87' R151F EFI Turbo 22R
88-95' R150F EFI 3.0V6
96-03' R150F EFI 3.4V6

turbo trans is 23 spline gear driven transfer, v6 is 23 spline chain driven transfer, w59 &G58 also have chain drive transfers
There are also differences in length between transmissions

Last edited:
Info provided by Marlin Cralwer
All 84 to 95 22R trans are 25.5" long including the bellhousing. The only shorter trans is the 79-83 year trans which are 20.75" long with bellhousing. These early short trans have had a poor service record due in part to their small bearings and lighter gears. The 82-83 L52 5 speed which had a 80 x 20 mm front input bearing has had the best service record. A number of years ago, I invented a way to install a oversize 80 x 23 mm input bearing with an inproved gear set which features a greater helix angle for added strenght. I call it my L52HD and is the strongest 20.75" long trans.

List & description of most Toyota transmissions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_transmissions

Just rebuild it yourself. Cake walk.

I really wish I knew what I was doing in order to do that. I would love to tear into it and rebuild it myself, but everyone I've spoke to about it says "don't go there".

Would someone know or have a write-up for that project? Cause that would be AWESOME!:cool:

I have a w56 out of an 85 I will sell for $250

MMHM206.jpg

I really wish I knew what I was doing in order to do that. I would love to tear into it and rebuild it myself, but everyone I've spoke to about it says "don't go there".

Would someone know or have a write-up for that project? Cause that would be AWESOME!:cool:

It cost about $250 for a bearing kit and more if you need gears or syncros. You better know what you are doing if your going to rebuild it and most people don't and that seems to be why no one does.