• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I hate jeeps!!!

CarnationSensation

The girlfriend has a 91 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 5 speed 4.0L compleetly stock. 89,000 original miles.
Believe me i tried and tried to talk her into a 4 runner.... and now the jeep is broken! Weird how my Toyota that i beat weekly still runs like a champ and has 4x the miles on it!!!

So now to the real problem.

She was out this weekend playing in the woods and her clutch went out, maybe...Feels more like a throw out bearing to me but not sure. Looking for any fixes people might know about that i wouldnt. I know nothing about jeeps but looks like i will be learning fast...Can i rule out the difference between a throw out bearing being toast or the clutch being blown up without tearing it apart?

The pedal dont feel right, no resistance till it almost to the floor.
Can start it with cluth in and in gear and it dont move till you drop the clutch. When shifting through the gears you have to power shift, there is no clutch at all when driving but it dont slip either when steping on the gass. This motor shits it also, can burn rubber through 3rd. But still no clutch slippage at all...
I checked the fluid and it was a little low but not bad. On a side note, who the hell designed the engine bay of a jeep? Who puts a brace right on top of the clutch fluid resivoir cap so that you can harldy fit your hands in there!? and im irish and have small hands! It was also screwd on and had to be loosend with a wrench! I love you toyota and your rubber pop top caps, you come off so eaisly!

If anyone has any answeres or advice on where to start please help. I figure ill have to tear it apart no matter what but any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks. :beer:

Don't blame the vehicle for your inability to work on it.

If I remember right that has a hydraulic throw out bearing. It is rather common for.them to fail. If it is bad don't waste your time with parts store junk. Pony up the dough for a factory part.

If I remember right that has a hydraulic throw out bearing. It is rather common for.them to fail. If it is bad don't waste your time with parts store junk. Pony up the dough for a factory part.

Oh theres no inability to work on the vehicle at all. It's more lack of knowledge and also pure dislike towrds the vehicle. Im a yota guy!
And believe me, i got the jeep thing, but now it hurts when i pee.

Yeah if the Bearing needs to be replaced ill buy the factory one. Dont want to do this again in 20K miles.

Oh theres no inability to work on the vehicle at all. It's more lack of knowledge and also pure dislike towrds the vehicle. Im a yota guy!
And believe me, i got the jeep thing, but now it hurts when i pee.

Yeah if the Bearing needs to be replaced ill buy the factory one. Dont want to do this again in 20K miles.

Only difference between your Toyota and her Jeep is that after twenty years of wheeling hers will be still alive and probly looking good, your Toyota will be turned back into a beer can after its been rubbed off and thrown away :redneck:

Only difference between your Toyota and her Jeep is that after twenty years of wheeling hers will be still alive and probly looking good, your Toyota will be turned back into a beer can after its been rubbed off and thrown away :redneck:

Thats weird, my yota is an 89 and is doing a lot better than the jeep so far. Worth more money too!
But i guess your post just proves us yota people beat our **** harder!
It is nice to know that my yota will actually be turned into something again once i have destroyed it. People know better than to try and salvage the useless parts on a jeep! :fawkdancesmiley:

Last edited:
Check the clutch master cylinder fluid level first... if it's low, then you have a leak in the line somewhere or it's leaking inside the bellhousing. The 91's have an internal "slave cylinder/throwout bearing" all combined into one, and can be a pain if they go out cause you have to pull the tranny out to get at them. If the fluid level is low and you top it off and bleed it and things start working again, only to fail a little further down the road, then you know you've got a bad throwout bearing.

Notmatt has got it, and put dot 3 in it,dot 2 fluid is to thin and will waste the o-rings in the system. Been there done that mistake once.

Thats weird, my yota is an 89 and is doing a lot better than the jeep so far. Worth more money too!
But i guess your post just proves us yota people beat our **** harder!
It is nice to know that my yota will actually be turned into something again once i have destroyed it. People know better than to try and salvage the useless parts on a jeep! :fawkdancesmiley:

:awesomework:

Out of this one. I have dealt with a blow slave cylinder about a dozen times. I finally converted mine to an auto this past summer.

Good luck man. You might not want to diss on the jeep guys to much since your asking for our help. I really don't understand why people are so ****in picky about their rigs anyway. To each his own man. my 86 xj needed a clutch a master cylinder and a fuel pump and it runs great now. Wheeled the crap out of it. If the master cylinder is leaking you need to check the fuse box cause jeep in their infinite wisdom decided to put the fuse panel right under the clutch master cylinder. And apparently dot 3 melts plastic.

BURN IT!!!!

a couple mistakes made here.......... :looser:

#1 you let your old lady buy a jeep.......
#2 you let your old lady buy a jeep, and now you have to work on it.....
#3 you let your old lady buy a jeep, and you have to work on it but, don't know how.....

one way to solve this, burn it, get insurance and buy toy:awesomework:

or, figure out how to work on it and quit bitchin:flipoff:

ROFL... you guys...

I've had both toyotas and jeeps. and know people with both. They have their plusses and minuses...

But yah getting an auto in there would help things a bit.

You gotta pull it anyways, might as well pony up the extra cash and replace the clutch while you are at.. Same time and hassle down the road.

You gotta pull it anyways, might as well pony up the extra cash and replace the clutch while you are at.. Same time and hassle down the road.

And get a 94+ bellhousing and convert to an external slave, if you really want to avoid problems.

Having said that, I never had any problems with the internal slave/bearing in mine. Of course, I put a new throwout bearing in every time i have had the tranny out... sooooo...

agree'd:beer::beer:

I really started enjoying mechanics when this thought finally clicked in my mind:redneck: now i cant stop wanting to learn about em all

Oh theres no inability to work on the vehicle at all. It's more lack of knowledge on how a manual transmission clutch setup works

Fixed.

I know the world is dark outside of broken birfields and 22re land but if you take half second to think about what your dealing with before you make the effort to type it, you can almost always figure it out...

:haha::haha::haha:

The hydraulic setup with the early wranglers can be finiky thing. Their internal slave cylinders arent a popular setup among the wheeling crowd and guys either go through the process of swapping out the internal design for an external or converting their manual to automatic. Either way its not that tough to troubleshoot and fix. Just depends on how extensive of a fix you want.... Theres writeups all over pirate4x4 if you wanna read up. Goodluck

it sounds like the internal throw-out bearing. have fun if you dont upgrade like mentioned above. as far as the jeep thing, it is funny how actual power breaks things isnt it? let us know how long your stock yota **** lasts on anything with power. axles and t-case sure, stock birfs and trannies NO! its a wheelin rig, fix it instead of bitching about it, if you can figure it out.

Latest posts