• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I kind of need a welder, which one?

RusM

So I've got a bunch of projects that I want to do on the truck that need a welder. My friends are more than willing to help me, but I feel like I'm imposing with this time consuming BS I want to do on the truck. So I'm thinking about getting a welder. My uncle welds professionally and tells me I need a 220v machine minimum for what I want to do (cut and tub firewall, remount sliders, remount rear bumper, redo tire carrier, weld up my old man's broken theater chair....).
So he likes the Lincolns, but everyone on the internets hates they. I've been looking at the Hobart 187 and 210 from NorthernTool, they seem like a good deal. What do you guys think is a good deal on a welder that is capable of performing the operations I want to do?

I have a Lincoln Powermig 250 and it works very well. I run either .035 ER70 hard wire or .045 dual shield with 75/25 gas. Welds great. The hard wire is good for flat stuff, while the dual shield is an all position wire. The dual shield does have slag left after the weld, but it just peels right off if it has not already fallen off. :corn:

I've got a Millermatic210, and have been VERY happy with it...
A few yrs ago when I was in the market for a 220V machine, I was looking at the smaller 180 series machines, and they would have done the job for sure, but for the few extra coins, if you plan to use the machine alot on a reg basis...I would save the coin and step up to a 200 series for sure if you have the room for it!!!.
Does sound like a 180 series would suffice for what you plan on doing though...:awesomework:

ive been very happy with my hobart handler 180 but the 187 has the plug for a spool gun if ya ever want to do aluminium.

the miller above is much better but also much more coin.

i also have an ol buzz box if i ever need to do anything really heavy.

I have a millermatic 251 it's a cadillac, also have a lincon sp 135 which is also a fantastic shop welder

I have welded with most of the machines out there but like my millermatic 210...simple and welds awesome. think I have had it since 00

For entry level and the ability to do most welds on a vehicle I vote for the Miller210:awesomework:

I have had mine for almost 10 years with no problems.

I've used both the Miller and Lincoln and both are great machines... I agree, the Miller runs a bit smoother and starts nicer... It'll cost ya though... I have a little Lincoln 135 at home and it's a great machine... Never touched a Hobart...

The miller I built your bumper with is a mm180 amp machine.

I bought it off craigslist for $400.

I have a snapon 225 amp machine I havent used since. I get tired of pulling that giant all over.

The LITTLE miller is so much nicer to pull around the shop.

I use a Millermatic 175 (240v) for the quick and small jobs...

and I use my Millermatic 251 (240v) for the bigger jobs, plus i have my spool gun for this unit...

run solid wire on 75/25 gas mix (for steel), 100% argon for the aluminum stuffs, and tri-mix for the stainless..

have used Lincolns in the past.. in fact still have a little HD3200 (120v) sitting around...

but the millers just weld so much better..

Have also used some hobarts, which depending on which ones are very similar to the Millers and in fact use Miller's gun...

i guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to weld...

:awesomework:

I was looking at the 212 but got a deal on a 252 and have to say I am glad I picked the machine I did. :cool:

But the millermatic dual would be a nice pick.

I like a miller but back before I had to do alot of tig welding I built all my customers cars with a lincoln pro mig 175. Small,easy to move and if you are proficient at welding you can turn out top notch work with one.

It all depends on your skill level,project forecast and how big of a machine you want/need.

I like a miller but back before I had to do alot of tig welding I built all my customers cars with a lincoln pro mig 175. Small,easy to move and if you are proficient at welding you can turn out top notch work with one.

It all depends on your skill level,project forecast and how big of a machine you want/need.

:awesomework:agreed

But, with a novice welder more heat is not always a bad thing. I would rather see a novice burn too deep and warp than just lay a bead on the surface with no penetration.

Most of us dont "need" these big welders, they just make life easier:D