• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I need help setting up my tig welder

I want to say it's somewhat dependant on how good your gas flow/coverage is but I'd try to keep the tip no more than 1/4". Also, try not to angle your arc towards the filler. I know it's tempting just so you can see better but that can mess up your rod too.

I pulled my tungsten back some to about a 1/4" like you said and it helped a ton. Actually made a few spots that resembled a weld. Gonna practice more in the next few days and hopefully get the hang of it.

Go to you tube and find Jody on welding tricks and tips and start watching he is a great teacher as far as the internet goes. He explains this in great detail and in ways I can understand. Also weld.com is good too

pholmann said:
Good. Drive down the road s d come school me since you live 5 miles away lol.

I noticed one thing that's happening that you mentioned. The filler rod is balling up way before the puddle so I think that's going to be the tungsten sticking too far out. How far is right?

Your problem is you are shoving the filler into the arc, before your parent material is molten. Start your arc on the material and allow a puddle to form with no filler. Once the puddle forms, you can dab the filler into it. You will notice the filler at that point almost "jumps" into your molten puddle

Re: Re: I need help setting up my tig welder

jp fan said:
Go to you tube and find Jody on welding tricks and tips and start watching he is a great teacher as far as the internet goes. He explains this in great detail and in ways I can understand. Also weld.com is good too
Jody was one of our welding instructors at Delta Airlines, stand up dude and a hell of a welder.

Looks good,

back off on the heat a touch, and add more filler. Might be beneficial to raise that piece off the table a bit to keep from sucking the heat right back out of it.