• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Identifing a D60

xjmarc

Wannabe Bouncer
It's time to do some maintenance on my rear axle but I have no clue what it's out of. I found two date codes on the passenger side tube but no BOM. It has C30255 cast into the top web of the housing and 60 on the lower so I know it's a 60. Its full float and has 30 spline shafts and a course spline pinion. Any help or where else I can look for some numbers would be great thanks.

BOM will be on driver side axle tube facing the rear just a few inches away from the diff cover. It is there if you look hard enough. They are stamped ever so lightly and even a minor amount of paint or dirt or grime will completely hide it. I can't tell you how many people have sworn it wasn't there and then found it after cleaning the tube off with a wire wheel. It is faint. I have a several Dana 80's at my shop. One of them was stamped so light that I had to sand blast it to see it. But it was there. I guarantee yours is there unless its been retubed for some reason.

J. J.

Guess I'm going to the parts store and argue with them and compair parts. I took a wire wheel to the tubes on both sides and all I found was 2 date codes. Top one is 2 21 8B then below it is a 2 and below that is 2 19 8B1. If I can figure out how to decode those maybe I'll at least know what year it was made.

OK after a closer look it has 7 bolts on the backing plates if that makes any difference. Hoping to find some brakes for it tomorrow.