• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ifsbegone

jjduedall

so i finally sucked it up and decided to do so cuttin on the ol' pickum up truck. i got most of the ifs cut off and most of the brackets that are not needed on the axle housing. and tonight i ordered the five inch trail gear kit
stay tuned for some hackin, weldin, and a motor swap( my 3.slow finally gave up)

redneck axle stand:redneck:

i finally got my kit. i ended up going with the trail gear kit

upgraded to the 5150's and damn there long

stay tuned for more

There is something women like about a pickup man. Nice with the ole' SAS. (SAS stands for Solid Axle Swap:awesomework: ) Keep on keepin' on! I might think that it is a little late to turn back!
Cory,

i got the axle stripped down to just the housing and its now ready to be rebuilt, and painted

haha the funny thing is the 3.slow took a crap and i decided huh, while i wait i might as well change as many things on my truck that i dont like as i can. so i ended up trading the IFS lift for the solid axle, then ended up getting the whole SAS kit for about 900 bucks, getting some really nice racing buckets, i also put in a eclipse competition 10 and a 800 watt pionner amp. when i get it together its going to be like driving a whole new truck

i got the axle trussed and armored.. oh and the little srping pad thing tacked on.. i never got the little diff armor to fit perefectly on the housing but whatever it will do its job

did the final grinding and such then primered it all,, tomarrow i should have it painted and maybe start rebuilding the knuckles

Nice job. Looks great. I just did the same thing to mine tonight too, haha. I didnt bother to primer mine, I just scrubbed it down with degreaser using wire brushes, then painted it with Rustoleum hammered. Pics are in my front axle rebuild thread if you wanna check it out.

I might add armor up top later, but for now, Im running it without. I plan to get a diff cover too, but that will come after its on the road since I cant weld on it where it is now (no power to run the welder).

~T.J.

got the hanger and the shackle tubes welded in today

im hoping that these springs sag alot because damn they look like they are going to be tall... if anyone from around here( corvallis, albany , maybe even salem wants to come help with the rest of the grinding, because there is alot of it your more then welcome and i can get some pizza and chicken and pop :awesomework: i would buy :beer: but im like 5 years shy of being able to

oh and here is what the axle looks like as of now

gloss black with chevy orange knuckles

and a tip if you ever replace the trunion bearings and races.. freeze the races and right before you take them out of the freezer heat up the spot where the races will be going with a propane torch .. they glide in with a little hammer work :redneck: . im sure everyone knows this but hey im 17 and learnin so i thought i would share

picked up my motor today.... another 3.slow that is suppoce to only have 80 thousand miles... who knows really. but with some washer shorter bolts and some nuts:awesomework: i got the starter to turn it over without the tranny attached and its compression was in between 185-190 in all 6. i did this because i didnt want to bolt every thing in and have a dead POS. anyways the whole darn thing should be on the road by the middle of next week

and a tip if you ever replace the trunion bearings and races.. freeze the races and right before you take them out of the freezer heat up the spot where the races will be going with a propane torch .. they glide in with a little hammer work :redneck: . im sure everyone knows this but hey im 17 and learnin so i thought i would share
Thats pretty common knowledge for just about anything thats a press fit. Although, the trunion bearings are pretty easy to install IMO. Just set them in place, and tap em in with a brass hammer. They don't sit below the surface of the knuckle ball, so its really easy to get them seated this way. Wheel bearings I could understand trying a way to make them easy since you cant just tap them all the way into place with a hammer because they sit down inside the hub.

Anyway, looks like youre doing a good job! I just got some more of my front end done tonight too. Got the diff in, axles in, spindles on, hubs, rotors, calipers, brake lines, etc. Still gotta put the locking hubs on (need to get new nuts and washers), hook up the front driveline, fill the diff, bleed brakes, and finish the crossover install.

Feels good to be so close. Too bad I just found out the wheels wont fit with the new large piston calipers and vented rotors :rolleyes: I knew there was a possibility they wouldn't fit, but I was hoping they still would.

~T.J.

i got the old motor out and the new in. i ended up having to switch intake manifolds and the whole wiring harnesses because they gave me a non california emmmisions motor and mine is california emissions so the main harness wouldnt plug into the ECU and the intake was somewhat different along with a few coolant senders/sensors.. anyhow its in and bolted up for the most part so if anyone has a vacuum diagram or could explain where most of that all goes i would appreciate it.. i have it somewhat figured out i just need a little help and my haynes isnt much help