• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ignition switch wiring question

Countryboy11117

I'm replacing the the stock steering column in an 88 YJ with a straight steering shaft set up. How do I wire up the aftermarket key ignition switch? Pics and how to are greatly appreciated.

The switch is simply sending power directly to the solenoid on the starter. So...power from constant source (battery) to switch...from switch to solenoid. Simple as that.

Some people dont want it to have constant power so in that case you'd run it through a master disconnect or something of that sort.

More specifically I need to know what are my acc wires ignition and power off the stock harness. I wanted to run all the factory acc running off the switch. Like heater, radio, dash lights.

Ha...no worries...I can't stand looking at those things either. The power for things like the radio and heater should all run through the fuse block. So what you'll need to do is find out which wires from the factory switch allowed the fuse block to get power. In other words...there will be a wire that probably runs to a relay of some sort that supplies the power to the fuse block once the factory switch was turned on. If you find that you can just piggy back it on to the aftermarket switch.

Re:

Get a meter and see what wire is constant 12v, and which ones have 12v in "crank", and which ones have 12v in "run".

Wire to aftermarket switch accordingly.

Also be aware that some things may be switched to ground. On a Toyota the lights are ground switched from the column switch.

Latest posts