• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ignitoin Help Needed

Snowrunner

Ok heres what ive got an 85 runner 22re. Ran fine then one day when coming home from wheelin it started acting up not running very well. Got home shut it off and it wouldnt start again. Im goin to put it in my 85 truck thats carbed and would like to get it running before I pull it.

Brought it down to the shop and started looking around. What make me think that its an ignition problem is this. As soon as I turn the key to the on position the tach starts to float to 3-4k and just stays there. If I pull the wire goin from the coil to the dist. and just ground it there is a constant weak spark. If I turn the engine over same weak spark no aparent firing.

Things I know. Timing is good(not off a tooth or anything like that), got fuel to the fuel rail(not 100% sure if the injectors are firing or not), computer is good checked it on another running vehicle, coil and ignitor are good checked them on same running vehicle.

I tried to figure out what was causing this so here is what I did. First I unplugged the 2 wire plug going from the distributor to the igniter. This caused the constant spark to stop but my tach still reads at 3-4k. Second I unplugged the 3 wire plug that goes from the ecu to the igniter. That did nothing still sparked and tach still read at 3-4k. Last I tried unplugging the 2 wire plug that goes from the igniter to the driver fender? I dont know where it goes from there, but I need to find that out. If I do this it stops arcing and the tach reads zero, so I figure this could be the wires that are causing the problem.

So what do you guys think could be wrong? Where does the 2 wire plug from the ecu to the loom on the fender go to? Im not good with electrical **** so any help would be appreciated on what to check and how to do it.

I would start by making sure all your ground wires are clean & have good connection.