• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

In need of a back packing gun.

chainsaw

Hey guys, Im looking for a new backpacking gun, my .45 is getting too beat up. So Im looking for a used wheel gun in the 2-3" range, medium size, Id like to spend somewhere around 200-300 dollars. This is gonna be a beater so it doesnt need to be fancy but it needs to work flawlessly....as any gun should. I need punch, at least a. 357, for those dangerous animals in the 180+ lb range. Looking for suggestions.

Ill take offers as well but know the numbers will be run so if your not sure dont even offer. Please/thanks/your welcome :awesomework:

Even a .357 out of a 2-3" barrel isn't going to have much punch...look at the ballistics, the .357 needs at least a 4" barrel...preferably a 6" to take advantage of it's power.

With a 125gr Speer gold-dot fired from a 2" barrel, velocity is a meager 904fps. The exact same load from a 4" barrel creates a much more astonishing 1496fps.

WA State law used to rate handguns as legal for hunting based solely on ft-lbs of energy. For a .357 to be legal (at the time) it had to shoot 158gr bullets out of a barrel with a minimum of 6". Anything less was deemed underpowered.

I guess what I'm saying is step up to a 4" barrel and load the heavy loads.
You should be able to find plenty of nice, used Smith's in the 300ish price range. Taurus *can* be a good option if price is a concern, but do NOT buy one unless you get to handle it first. Their timing and fitting tolerances are very loose, and even some of their brand new revolvers can be iffy.

Even a .357 out of a 2-3" barrel isn't going to have much punch...look at the ballistics, the .357 needs at least a 4" barrel...preferably a 6" to take advantage of it's power.

With a 125gr Speer gold-dot fired from a 2" barrel, velocity is a meager 904fps. The exact same load from a 4" barrel creates a much more astonishing 1496fps.

WA State law used to rate handguns as legal for hunting based solely on ft-lbs of energy. For a .357 to be legal (at the time) it had to shoot 158gr bullets out of a barrel with a minimum of 6". Anything less was deemed underpowered.

I guess what I'm saying is step up to a 4" barrel and load the heavy loads.
You should be able to find plenty of nice, used Smith's in the 300ish price range. Taurus *can* be a good option if price is a concern, but do NOT buy one unless you get to handle it first. Their timing and fitting tolerances are very loose, and even some of their brand new revolvers can be iffy.

What he said.

Also, if you do purchase a taurus revolver, open the side plate on it and clean the piss out of it. They pack them with cosmoline before they ship 'em.

What he said.

Also, if you do purchase a taurus revolver, open the side plate on it and clean the piss out of it. They pack them with cosmoline before they ship 'em.

well i guess ill go grab both my taurus and take a look then

well i guess ill go grab both my taurus and take a look then

I would.

This is a photo of a brand new taurus. Never fired. It does protect it during shipping/sitting in a warehouse waiting for a buyer but damn. A little cleaning and it's good as new. Or in this case, better than new. :awesomework:
2745116540099715270S600x600Q85.jpg

That's what +P ammunition is for! :;

That's what +P ammunition is for! :;

First off, there is no SAMMI specs for a +P .357 Magnum.
Second, +p won't do you any good if you don't have the barrel length to take advantage of it.

+P ammunition means they pack an extra .2-.3 grains of powder behind the same bullet. IF you already can't take advantage of the powder you have, you sure can't take advantage of more. Kind of like a high horsepower rear wheel drive in the rain. You can add all the throttle you want, but you're still just going to waste gas spinning tires and getting nowhere.

Anyone heard of the new "Short Barrel" loads that many manufacturers are producing for self defense ammunition? There is a common misconception that this stuff is designed for more velocity out of a shorter barrel.
Not true!
Actually, they re-design the bullet using softer lead/copper mixtures and make the hollow point a little bit deeper so it will reliably expand at a SLOWER speed.

Last edited:
First off, there is no SAMMI specs for a +P .357 Magnum.
Second, +p won't do you any good if you don't have the barrel length to take advantage of it.

+P ammunition means they pack an extra .2-.3 grains of powder behind the same bullet. IF you already can't take advantage of the powder you have, you sure can't take advantage of more. Kind of like a high horsepower rear wheel drive in the rain. You can add all the throttle you want, but you're still just going to waste gas spinning tires and getting nowhere.

Anyone heard of the new "Short Barrel" loads that many manufacturers are producing for self defense ammunition? There is a common misconception that this stuff is designed for more velocity out of a shorter barrel.
Not true!
Actually, they re-design the bullet using softer lead/copper mixtures and make the hollow point a little bit deeper so it will reliably expand at a SLOWER speed.

I read all about that a few years ago. It's also charged a bit less so there is less recoil from a smaller gun. :awesomework:

If your .45 is getting 'beat up', then you simply need to learn to take better care of it. It's a fine backpacking gun. Use it.

If yours is 1911, then just get a short slide for it.

If your .45 is getting 'beat up', then you simply need to learn to take better care of it. It's a fine backpacking gun. Use it.

If yours is 1911, then just get a short slide for it.

My carry gun is beat up.

When it first started happening I was upset. I then realized it was a tool that I have with me every day. As long as it works, I'm fine with that.

I can understand trying to keep your guns pristine. On the other hand, being in the military, our carry M9's and M16's get beat up bad. Real bad. And they continue to function every day.

Guns are tools. They are there for when they are needed. Will they show some wear? Yes.

Last edited:
Karl your older than dirt right? When I went to Iraq with a M16 in 09 I probably had one from your era!! What's wrong with you old carry Pistol? It would probably be alot cheaper to FIX it in the long run. If you get a new pistol and it's a different caliber you have to buy all new ammo for that weapon!! You have to break in a new firearm, ammo isn't cheap. Time and ammo at the range getting used to said weapon and how it functions so that in a bind you KNOW for a fact what it's gonna do.
Good luck!! I'm sure some people around here know a good gunsmith)