• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Initial timing question.

skipnrocks

SbC 350 with the distributor that has the plug for the coil and another plug that goes to the engine harness.

Here's my question. I know that to set the initial timing on the old vacuum advance distributors you would disconnect the vacuum and start it the rotate the distributor until it sounds best. Then hook the vacuum back up. With mine being fuel injected and having the computer playing with timing should I disconnect the computer from the cap then do the initial timing to ear. And then hook it back up. I am running first fuel injections tuned port injection kit if that helps.

I'd probably set it off total timing. Get it close, start it up and take it to about 3200 rpms and set your total timing to 30-32 degrees and see what you have at idle. Just a thought. It's what I do with the drag cars.

pholmann said:
I'd probably set it off total timing. Get it close, start it up and take it to about 3200 rpms and set your total timing to 30-32 degrees and see what you have at idle. Just a thought. It's what I do with the drag cars.

Is that done with a timing light?

No.
If it's a TBI harness, there's a single wire connector somewhere that you disconnect. Sometimes it's near the distributor in the harness. Sometimes it's near the firewall bulkhead connector. Even the painless harnesses have it. Anyway, it looks just like a single wire O2 sensor connector, but make sure you're not unplugging the O2 sensor. It should be a tan wire, I believe.

Unplug that wire I just described and set the timing with a light. All factory TBI stuff is set to 0 degrees initial timing. You can cheat it to 4 or 6 degrees and fool the computer a little depending how much you care about the motor. lol

aftermarket and Computer is controlling the timing you should sync the timing from your efi software.
i see they use fast efi for controller in some products. maybe you should find out whos efi its running and find timing instructions from there.

I got ahold of them this am and it was a huge help. They said to set the timing at 6 and let the computer take over from there. So what I guess I need to do is disconnect the computer from the distributer cap and then run a timing light. I think oreilleys has them in their tool rental program and get the timing set to 6. Then set the idle air control valve/sensor and should be up and running.