• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Installing a ZF-5 into my '77 F-250 Crew Cab, 460

cameronb

I'll be replacing my NP435 with a ZF-5 (from a '88 Crew Cab, 460, BW1356 T-case.) I believe my current 460 came out of a 76 Ford Truck...
Anyone else done this? Any tips would be appreciated.

Cameron

I'll be replacing my NP435 with a ZF-5 (from a '88 Crew Cab, 460, BW1356 T-case.) I believe my current 460 came out of a 76 Ford Truck...
Anyone else done this? Any tips would be appreciated.

Cameron

I did this swap in my 78 Bronco. It's fun.

I modified the tab on the manual clutch pedal 90 degrees to operate the hyd master cylinder with the stock pedals. Just cut off the tab from a 88+ clutch pedal and weld it to the one you have.

Mount the MC on the firewall inboard of the brake booster and reinforce the firewall.

I whacked and hacked the floor to be able to install/remove the trans, then built a tunnel cover to fit. Otherwise the trans don't want to go in at all.

I rebuilt my 76 Lincoln engine before this swap. Since I was planning to do this I used a 3Y (externally balanced) crank and hatchet weight when I built the motor so the ZF flywheel would work. If you have an internally balanced (2Y) crank then you'll need to get a 0 balanced flywheel.

I hope this helps.

Lot's of help, thanks. I'm picking this unit up Saturday... wasn't aware that the clutch is hydraulic. I may hit you up if I run into problems. Did the input shaft work with the 460 you had? I've heard that my 435 has an 1 1/8" OD, versus a 1 1/4"OD on the ZF.

Cameron

You will need to change the pilot bearing to the bearing for the ZF, it should fit in the crank register the same as the 4 speed bearing did.

When you pick it up be sure to get the clutch pedal (so you can cut the tab off it), MC, slave cylinder and lines as a unit. Do not separate the line from either cylinder.

Will do, thanks Jim. He's already pulled the trans out, so i hope he still has all the associated clutch parts. I'll have to ask him.

Cameron

So the ZF only came with the attached slave cylinder, no master or pedal.. Strongly considering using my mechanical linkage for the current np435, and making that work. We'll see.
Gonna clean things up this weekend and see what it's going to take to match things up. I'm also considering running the attached BW1356 T-case, vs my np205.

Last edited: