• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

intermittent oil smoke--1986 toyota pickup 22RE

Dain Bramage

so i was gonna sit in my truck during break today and listen to the radio. of course, its like 37 degrees out, so i started it up. after about 5 minutes, i started smelling burning oil. looked behind me, and sure enough there was a big blue cloud behind my truck. revved it to about 4k a couple times and it stopped smoking. this has happened to me before, the last time was probably 3 months ago when i was driving down a fire road on my way home from wheeling, one of the guys with me got on the CB and told me my truck was smoking like crazy. revved it up then and it wouldnt stop, but by the time i got home it had quit. i had someone suggest a stuck PCV, i havent gotten around to checking that yet, but does anyone else have any ideas?

1986 toyota sr5 pickup, 2.4l 22RE, 5spd 4x4. approximately 30k miles on a remanufactured long block, 330k on everything else.

I have seen this before from bent's truck wile folowing him on the trail. His truck is an 88 efi with over 300,000 miles on only a head rebuild(he bought the truck new), but it runs great but every once and a while on the trail it spits out some blue smoke and then the next 2 times you wheel withim there is nothing. I wonder what it is that makes it puke that puff of smoke so infrequently??

Mine does this once in a while also. It is a junkyard 22RE but it runs real strong. I have been told that it was either the valve seals or possibly a PCV valve. I have replaced the PCV but not the grommet that holds it in. I'll try wrapping the valve w/teflon tape and sticking it back in to see if that helps at all. Don't feel to confident that it will but it's worth a shot.

X2 on the PCV and valve seal(s)

If not, check your spark plugs to see which one it is and go from there.

from sitting alittle oil can seep though the valve seals,and giudes and burn,you rev it and it will stop.happens with a lot of trucks and people never see it.big believer of trying to have exhast exit on driver side not out back,if you can.

from sitting alittle oil can seep though the valve seals,and giudes and burn,you rev it and it will stop.happens with a lot of trucks and people never see it.big believer of trying to have exhast exit on driver side not out back,if you can.
its a daily driver, so it doesnt sit. i will try pulling the plugs and see which one it is.

Extremely common problem on the 22 motors. You can fix it by pulling valve cover and look inside. There is a cover that is riveted on that covers the PCV system. You need to pull it off (drill the rivets) and clean it real good. You need to find some type of packing material and install it and then reinstall the cover (we use steel wool and make sure to use a screen to where it cannot get back into the valve cover. We also drill the holes and use screws locktited in to hold it on again)

as long as you don't have motor problems this will stop the smoking.

Latest posts