• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Inverters

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
So I'm starting to shop around for inverters for my trailer. I know I want at least a 2000 watt inverter and I want pure sine wave inverter. I see some inverters in the $1000-$2000 price range and I don't want to spend anywhere near that, but I also don't want to buy some Chinese POS either. Anybody have any recommendations?

what is your end goal? What do you want to power? Inverters are stupid power hungry and will suck a battery bank dry in a hurry.

Here is some rough numbers for ya (I love numbers).

1000 watt inverter will require up to 83 amps of power at 12v at peak demand.
2000 watt inverter will require up to 166 amps of power at 12v at peak demand.

A single 12v car battery is good for about 75 amp hours of power (mean 1 amp draw for 75 hours, or 75 amp draw for one hour), but in actual use, you only get about half of that, as deep discharges will hurt the battery, and the bigger the draw, the less likely you'll get the actual rating due to internal battery resistance and heat and other losses.

Inverters are great on large boats and RVs that can support a massive battery bank of 8 or 10 or 12 deep cycle 6 volt batteries. Same with houses.

Automotive inverters are not as handy once you start getting over the 500 watt range. With the batteries and beefed up alternator and cost of the inverter, you begin to get into the Honda EU2000 inverter generator cost.

We used to install Xantrex inverters on all the boats, but they went chinese, and the engineers jumped ship to form a company called FX inverters, and they wont tell you this, but rumor has it the FX stands for Eff Xantrex.

I'm wanting to be able to run basic appliances (waffle maker, toaster, small microwave), battery chargers, small tv for limited amounts of time. Nothing crazy, just a few creature comforts when we see boondocking.

I'll be shooting for probably 480ah worth of batteries.

I am inheriting 300watts worth of solar panels and will be picking up at least a 30amp MPPT charge controller, so that will help maintain the batteries.

Ive got a 3500 watt max 1750 continues. Digital readout, amps, volts, watts. Dont use it anymore,Used it in my work truck to power microwave and cordless battery chargers. Sell it for $175 Whistler brand. 2 outlets, built in fan,Battery connect.

You couldnt pry my inverter generator out of my cold dead hands. I would take it over solar panels, battery banks and inverters any day of the week. Its small, its quiet, it sips the fuel, I can use it anywhere. Single point of failure. It breaks, I get a new one. No troubleshooting, no extra wiring, no extra batteries and charge controllers.

I dry camp for up to two weeks at a time in the sand dunes and that little genset is a trooper. I chain it to the axle of the trailer, fill it up, and let it run all night until it runs out of fuel. Keeps my fridge going, the furnace, all the chargers for phones and computers and tablets. Hands down best bang for your buck.

Your looking at a ton of weight and cost in those batteries. Good inverters are not small or light either. Im just not a fan of them anymore if your stationary. I do keep small inverters in my rigs for occasional use like oddball phone charger or keeping the laptop juiced while driving down the road, but thats it.

In fact, as I was getting out of the marine repair work, I saw a lot of customers removing their batteries and inverters and just sitting a honda genset on the swim step. They gained a ton of storage space, and never any worry about replacing the battery bank every 5 years, or acid fumes in the bilge, and the cost was comparable.

Agreed, I've had my EU2000i for a couple years and have used the **** out of it. I had a 2000w inverter with a single 4D battery on my horse trailer so my wife could use the horse clippers, small hair drier, curling iron, etc when she was at shows. It worked but I wish I would have bought the generator back then instead.

I have no desire to buy another generator, I've got an older Honda (it's not super quiet like the new ones, but quiet enough to use in the middle of nowhere) I could use if I really wanted to, but I just don't want to deal with carrying it around and having it take up space in the trailer.

The main reason I'm going with an inverter is that it wont take up any usable space (already have to have batteries and the inverter can mount on the walls of the storage compartment up out of the way), it will easily handle the limited amount of AC stuff I want to use, and if I'm not around it is something easy for my wife or daughter (eventually) to use.
I've had this one in the RV for about 5 years with no problems. I have 4 6V batteries and can dry camp with family of 4 for 7 days and not need the generator.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LGEMOQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_6o82vbFYCRF1N
Thanks Jay, that is a good amount of time. What kind of stuff do you usually run off of yours?

just put in similar set up in my goose neck 4 6v batt with go power 1500 pure sine inverter keep in mind there are other things that need to go with it cost wise ie long battery cables, on off switch ( not nec but nice), 30 amp power switch or other type of plug in (not as nice) class t fuse for input power line etc
time your done it will most likely be more than the generator fyi

Yeah, I've got a list going. I have a fair amount of stuff laying around already, got a handful of battery disconnect switches, got some big ass inline fuse holders from when I was young/dumb and into stupid loud car stereos, and I've got everything I need for the 110v side of inverter. Luckily I'll only have a 2' run from the batteries to the inverter, so I won't have a huge cost on cables.

I have a set of 4 12V deka unigy ( I think, Id have to double check) Batteries.

They are not huge starting batteries, but long draw storage batteries.

They same kind are used in cell towers for backup. American made and top quality.

I would sell them if someone could use them for one of these systems.

They look like these ones, not sure if the model is exactly the same. I can get the exact specs if someone is interested.

iu

Hmm, not sure if that kind of battery would work in an RV application or not. Does it list an amp hour rating?

Hmm, not sure if that kind of battery would work in an RV application or not. Does it list an amp hour rating?

Those would be PERFECT for an RV application. AGM, so less risk of spillage, designed specifically for long term draw whereas starting batteries are designed for short term draw. Fairly compact (very long, but really skinny so they can be racked in groups), but holy crap are they expensive new!

96 amp/hour rating at 8 hour draw rate (12 amps)

http://www.mkbattery.com/images/12AVR100ET.pdf

Nice, those look pretty awesome.

Not sure if I could swing them at the moment, but how much you wanting for them Brad?

I ran a similar version of the one brad posted, in my camper until last yr when it finally sulfated...worked good though---3 days without charging, and still had decent power. Could run the heater all night easily...
:awesomework:

4.5 KW 220 volt LPG powered genset, two 4D batteries and a solar panel for passive backup (for my cabin in the spring) That way I can run whatever I want and not have to worry. I have a power inverter for smaller stuff, but why not get efficient 12 VDC stuff to start with? Bypass the (hungry) middleman.