• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Is there a shop in Snohomish County that can straighten a bent Toyota axle housing?

Toyota axles very rarely bend in between the leaf springs, most of the time, its inbetween the leaf spring perch and the knuckle ball. If you think about it, the center (between perches) doesn't see the forces that the outside (outside of perches) does.

Does anyone think these gussets work and are worth putting on?

http://www.trail-gear.com/creeper-gussets

not really. If you have forces strong enough to bend the tube or end ball it will bend that with no problem.

The gusset is worthless with the strongback portion of it dead ending into the forked portion of it.

It needs to be one chunk of thick flatbar not a forked thingy.

For 42 bucks, I'll build my own gussetts like that, that will still bend! :redneck:
Granted the TG will be better than NO gussett at all, but like brad said, for the real deal, go heavy flat stock....figure out the shock mount from there...:awesomework:

Three pages of chatter on this :eeek:

Toyota axles are good for go-carts, street rigs, and zuki's....of course it's bent :hi:

Well, after much driving around showing the axle to various shops, I found a local heavy machinery shop that agreed to straighten it to a point where at least I can get the oil seal on.

That's the problem, I have no doubt that lots of these axles are bent and run, but how do you get an oil seal to even work when the axle shaft is shoved up against the edge of the oil seal mounting surface?

If they can't get it close, then I am giving up on these old housings and will buy a TG housing... I don't see much other choice. I can't afford and don't need anything like a Diamond or RuffStuff axle, but i am tired of buying used axle housings that the seller's SAY are straight, only to find out they aren't.

That's the problem, I have no doubt that lots of these axles are bent and run, but how do you get an oil seal to even work when the axle shaft is shoved up against the edge of the oil seal mounting surface?

Ya dont, all toyotas leak the ooze if ya park them crooked long enough.

You can also shim the knuckle a little differently when using a crooked housing to make things nicer.

Bobby will straighten that out perfectly if ya take it don to him. He has done tons of them that I have seen.

You can gusset a Toy housing all you want, if you run big tires and wheel it, it's still going to bend. And that set is a rip off, I built all the same **** out of scraps laying under the bench in my garage, except for the steering stop fix I did. That came out of the bucket of big ass nuts and bolts next to the bench.

That's the problem, I have no doubt that lots of these axles are bent and run, but how do you get an oil seal to even work when the axle shaft is shoved up against the edge of the oil seal mounting?

Toyota knuckles are like Harleys Davidsons. If they aren't leaking, your low on oil... Or you can get Bobby Longs new wiper seals, they seem to work good.

Latest posts