• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired ISO indate propane tanks

Jacksonwolf39

As title states, looking for 1 or 2 indate propane tanks. Went to fill one up today, never noticed the date on it. And got turned down. Went and looked at my other and it's also out of date. Closer to Huntsville al the better. Thanks in advanced!

Re:

"****" AKA TBItoy said:
Did ya ask about getting them re certified?

we get them filled at the Eagle Storage place that's right down the road, I think he would have to take it somewhere else to get it recertified

Re:

The Airgas place in town will recert them here. I think it was like $20-30 + repairs/upgrades (if needed) to get it done.

Well I just got back from getting a few filled. Jackson stopped by and picked one up so he is good for this weekend.

The guy down there told me he thinks the place in Gurley will recert. them for like $5 ea.. almost sounds too good to be true..

1tonrenegade said:
Holston gas in Knoxville charges bout $7 per tank. Or but some stamps

Maybe the guy wasn't off on the pricing then.

You guys keep talking about buying stamps, so when they recertify one do they just stamp a new date on it under the initial date or something like that?

The tanks are good for 12 years from original date then the recert. Is good for 5 years so be sure to stamp correct dates

You can give Heritage Propane a call in Madison. They should be able to recertify and fill them at a decent price.

altfuel1991 said:
You can give Heritage Propane a call in Madison. They should be able to recertify and fill them at a decent price.

The whole recert game is full on retard, IMHO

There is only one place within hours from me that recerts tanks. I took a tank there about 10 years ago and $15 later I had a new stamp. Great, right? No. None of the local propane supply houses know WTF the stamps are and half of them still won't fill the tank!

FF about 10 years and I have another tank that needs recert. The place that does it has changed ownership / management. They say it will be $15. NP, I leave it. They call me back 5 days later and say the tank is ready, I owe them $300 because all the valves needed to be replaced. A) The tank was in service working fine! B) What are the chances that literally every valve on the tank was really bad? C) They never called me to approve the work. I told them to just keep the tank, I can buy new on eBay cheaper. They tried to convince me that $300 on an aluminum tank was cheap and that they sell them new for more than that and it's a good deal. BS! They've still got that tank to this day!

One time I took that re-certified tank on a trip with me last minute, didn't have time to fill in town before I left. I figured I would just fill it on the way up. WRONG! I stopped at about 10 places during business hours on the way and no one in any of the states I passed through would honor the stamp! I ended up driving until 4am and 4 hours out of my way to get it filled at a 24/7 place so I could ride the next day. And even they were sketchy on the stamp! I had to beg and plead them to fill it!

What's worse is that half the people that fill the tanks don't even know how to f-ing do it. A lot of the time they are relieved for me to show them how! It's almost like they devote all their brain-power to avoiding filling them in the first place and have nothing left over to dedicate to actually learning how to do it when they can't avoid it!

Anyway, these stories are neither here nor there. But they are one of the reasons I don't run propane any more.

i bought my own fill valve on ebay to go on my tank at my house, it fills them full and dont cost me but about 9 dollars to do so vs 25-30 the propane place charges. plus i dont have to have in date tanks. Problem solved. ;D