• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

It wasn't purdy enuff for me!

My ARB was leaking so I needed to take it out to figure out what seal was leaking. So me and Gabe tore down the rear axle to get out the third and it was a real bitch to get out, and we're both like WTF! :wtf: Gabe finally wiggles it out and I see a bolt in the bottom of the housing, :wtf:. Then we notice the reason the third wouldn't come out easy, there's another bolt that's almost backed all the way out. :mad: Then one of the ring gear's got a pretty good chip out of a tooth. SO now instead of new seals I need a rebuilt third and new seals! :rolleyes: I'll put some pics up tomorrow.

Screw loctite the factory figured out the fix for the issue decades ago. Now "smart" Americans leave those trick little metal tabs out that some ingenuous little Japanese dude designed.

Screw loctite the factory figured out the fix for the issue decades ago. Now "smart" Americans leave those trick little metal tabs out that some ingenuous little Japanese dude designed.

what are you talking about?

It sounds like the cap bolts backed out and let the spanners push out making it very hard to remove.

There are no locking devices on the cap bolts. The ones on the ring gear are usually ready to break off too after two ring gear removals.

On once setup diffs, I use the stock ring gear lock tabs, but on twice or more setup diffs, I use loctite. I dont like the idea of little broke off tabs floating around in fresh gears and bearings.

Ring gear bolts falling out will not usually affect the operation of the ARB, but backing out cap bolts will affect the carrier preload and the ARBS functions.

You are probably correct now that I read that jumble of words post a few more times. I was thinking it was ring gear bolts that had backed off.

I like those little metal tabs personally. The dealership carries replacements for busted ones. :D

No idea who set it up originally, I thought I heard Money say something about buying a buggy from someone and swapping everything over? Really other than the chip out of the one tooth it looks pretty good, but I'm going to have it rebuilt anyways so I don't have a known weak link. How are you with ARB's B-Rad? :redneck: There's no evidence of loctite on the threads that I can see. :eeek:
IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

:hi:

Stumpy moved under his own power for the first time in two months! Naches here I come....